Update: No test or vaccine proof required, Spain has fully reopened to Americans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated with new information.
It’s official: Spain is reopened to American tourists, and as of June 28, Americans no longer have to even show proof of vaccination or test results.
On Monday, June 7, Spain reopened its borders to those coming from the U.S., as well as a host of other countries, in an effort to restart its summer tourism season.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Currently, there is no requirement for U.S. travelers to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test as the U.S. is no longer considered to be a risk area as of June 28, 2021, according to the Spanish Government. Per the U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Spain and Andora, this applies to all U.S. citizens traveling to Spain from the U.S., including those who transit through a third country. The U.S. Government also notes that this is subject to change with little notice, so it’s best to ensure this information is accurate at the time of your planned trip.
All other passengers coming from high-risk countries are still required to submit a negative Active Infection Diagnostic Test (AIDT), or PCR test, carried out within 72 hours prior to arrival.
All arrivals in Spain must fill out the Spain Travel Health (SpTH) form at least 48 hours prior to departure to the country.
Spain has said that the EU Digital COVID Certificate will be accepted for those arrivals coming from other EU countries. The EU Digital COVID Certificate scheme (formerly called “green passports“) went live on June 2. Some countries, such as Greece, Germany, Poland and others have already made the digital pass available to citizens. All EU nations are expected to have the EU Digital COVID Certificate available by July 1.
“Spain is a safe destination and we are in a position to soon regain our world tourism leadership,” Minister of Health Carolina Darias said.
There was initially extreme confusion about whether Spain would be reopening as of the planned June 7 date. That was later cleared up by the Ministry of Health and Spain opened as expected.
Travelers from the U.K., Spain’s biggest market for visitors, have already packed their bags for a summer visit. Given that the U.K. is not considered a risk area, arrivals don’t need proof of vaccination or negative test result. This is despite the fact that Spain remains on the amber list of the U.K.’s traffic light system. That means any travelers who go to Spain must quarantine for 10 days upon their return to the U.K.
Resuming its tourism industry is crucial to Spain’s economic health. Tourism accounts for about 12% of the country’s GDP.
Additional reporting by Clint Henderson, Emily McNutt and Caroline Tanner.
Featured image of Madrid, Spain by Dominic Dähncke/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees