Register now to earn Southwest elite status faster
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
If you’ve been chasing or are trying to requalify for Southwest elite status, listen up.
In August, we reported that Southwest launched a targeted promotion, giving select elites an easy path to re-qualify for another full year of elite status. Today, Southwest is announcing a new, major promotion that makes it easier for everyone to qualify for status next year — regardless of their current status.
With this promotion, all Rapid Rewards members can earn double tier-qualifying points (TQPs) on all flights through Nov. 30, 2021. Here are all the details you need to know.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Southwest offering double TQPs
At the beginning of the year, Southwest unveiled its Rapid Rewards update for 2021, making it easier for flyers to qualify for status. In addition to extending 2020 status through 2021, Southwest added 15,000 tier qualifying points (TQPs) and 10 qualifying one-way flight segments towards tier status for all members with accounts active as of Dec. 31, 2020.
So, you’ll effectively need to hit the following requirements to earn status for 2022:
|Status||“Normal” requirements||2021 Boost||Net effective 2021 requirements|
|A-List||35,000 TQPs or 25 flights||15,000 TQPs and 10 flights||20,000 TQPs or 15 flights|
|A-List Preferred||70,000 TQPs or 50 flights||15,000 TQPs and 10 flights||55,000 TQPs or 40 flights|
Now, Southwest is making it even easier to meet these requirements by offering double TQPs on all flights from Sept. 3 through Nov. 30, 2021.
In other words, you can effectively reach A-List status by earning just 10,000 TQPs over the next three months.
As mentioned, this promotion is open to all Rapid Rewards members — regardless of status. However, you must register here prior to booking and commencing travel. In other words, existing bookings do not qualify for this promotion.
Keep in mind, tier-qualifying points are not redeemable for award travel, but they do count toward A-List and A-List Preferred qualifications. There’s no maximum number of points you can earn with this promotion.
Southwest is offering double TQPs for flights through the end of November, making it even easier to earn A-List or A-List Preferred status. This promotion is open to everyone, but advance registration is required. Only new bookings qualify so make sure you’re registered before booking any new flights.
Keep in mind, for 2021, cobranded Southwest credit cardholders can also earn 1,500 TQPs for every $10,000 spent using an eligible card.
In late July, Delta announced that it would automatically extend all current elite statuses through Jan. 31, 2023. However, no other U.S. carriers have followed suit yet.
Featured photo by David Slotnick/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees