Targeted: Southwest makes it easier for some to requalify for elite status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Do you currently hold elite status with Southwest? If so, check your email because you may have been targeted for a special offer to extend it.
TPG reader Aalap Shah reached out to us to share that Southwest is offering them an easy path to re-qualify for another full year of elite status. As of now, it appears that there are only shortcuts to requalify for A-List status and A-List Preferred, not the Companion Pass. Here are all the details you need to know.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Requalify for A-List status faster
At the beginning of the year, Southwest unveiled its Rapid Rewards update for 2021, making it easier for flyers to qualify for status. In addition to extending 2020 status through 2021, Southwest added 15,000 tier qualifying points (TQPs) and 10 qualifying one-way flight segments towards tier status for all members with accounts active as of Dec. 31, 2020.
So, you’ll effectively need to hit the following requirements to earn status for 2022:
|Status||“Normal” requirements||2021 Boost||Net effective 2021 requirements|
|A-List||35,000 TQPs or 25 flights||15,000 TQPs and 10 flights||20,000 TQPs or 15 flights|
|A-List Preferred||70,000 TQPs or 50 flights||15,000 TQPs and 10 flights||55,000 TQPs or 40 flights|
On top of that, Southwest is now offering some A-List and A-List Preferred members to requalify quicker. Targeted members simply need two fly qualifying round trip flights (or four qualifying one-way flights) between Aug. 19 and Nov. 19, 2021, to keep their status through Dec. 31, 2022. There’s no minimum spend requirement. Even better, this offer applied to all flights taken during the promotional period, regardless of when they were booked or if they were booked with points or cash.
There’s no registration required, but again, this offer is targeted. The terms and conditions of the offer state, “Only the Rapid Rewards Member who received this email/offer from Southwest Airlines® is eligible for this promotion.”
Based on the email that was sent to a TPG reader, it appears that Southwest isn’t just targeting those who don’t have any travel planned. The email notes, “We took a look and as of Aug. 12 you have enough eligible flights booked to receive this promotion! Once you’ve completed travel, A-List status is all yours through 2022!”
Southwest is making it even easier for some A-List and A-List Preferred elite members to requalify for status. The requirements for this promotion should be fairly easy to meet, especially considering award travel counts, but it’s important to remember that not all elites are targeted. As of now, it’s unclear if Southwest is sending out similar offers to Companion Pass members.
Keep in mind, for 2021, co-branded Southwest credit cardholders can also earn 1,500 TQPs for every $10,000 spent using an eligible card.
By comparison, in late July, Delta announced that it would automatically extend all current elite statuses through Jan. 31, 2023. However, no other U.S. carriers have followed suit yet.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees