Southwest Airlines unveils 10 new Chicago O’Hare, Colorado Springs routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines will launch 10 new routes when it begins flights to Chicago O’Hare and Colorado Springs early next year, two of nine new destinations that it is adding to its map during the coronavirus pandemic. The carrier will debut with five routes at each the cities.
Flights to Chicago O’Hare (ORD) begin in February with introductory one-way fares beginning at $39, Southwest said Wednesday. Flights to Colorado Springs (COS) begin a month later, with one-way fares beginning at $29. Tickets are on sale now for the new flights.
Gary Kelly, CEO of the Dallas-based carrier, has described expanding Southwest’s map during the pandemic as “playing offense” in an effort to gain U.S. marketshare coming out of the crisis. Flights to Miami (MIA) and Palm Springs (PSP) begin in November; ski destinations Montrose (MTJ) and Steamboat Springs (HDN) in Colorado begin in December; and Chicago O’Hare; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH); Jackson, Mississippi (JAN); and Savannah (SAV), Georgia, in 2021.
Southwest will begin service to O’Hare with 20 daily flights on Feb. 14:
- Baltimore/Washington (BWI) four-times daily
- Dallas Love Field (DAL) four-times daily
- Denver (DEN) six-times daily
- Nashville (BNA) four-times daily
- Phoenix (PHX) twice daily
The new flights complement the carrier’s existing base at Chicago Midway (MDW) airport on the city’s south side. On Oct. 22, Kelly said capacity limits at Midway blocked Southwest from growing there and prompted the expansion to O’Hare on the north side of the city.
“If we don’t move now, we risk never getting in there,” he said.
Southwest will operate from common use gates in Terminal 5 at O’Hare, said spokesperson Dan Landson.
The carrier begins service to Colorado Springs with 13 daily flights on March 11:
- Chicago Midway twice daily
- Dallas Love Field three-times daily
- Denver four-times daily
- Las Vegas (LAS) twice daily
- Phoenix twice daily
Colorado Springs flights expand Southwest’s presence in the Front Range region of Colorado, a roughly 175-mile long corridor stretching from Pueblo in the south to Fort Collins in the north. At the region’s center is Denver, where the airline already has a large base.
Southwest continues to fly far less than it flew a year ago owing to the coronavirus. During the three months ending in December, it plans to fly roughly 35% less than in the same period in 2019.
The airline hopes to resume flying at 2019 levels by the end of 2021, said Kelly earlier in October. However, it expects a full recovery in air travel from the pandemic to take longer.
Southwest has not released schedules for its new flight flights from Houston Intercontinental, Jackson or Savannah.
Updated with Southwest’s terminal location at O’Hare.
Featured image by John Gress Media Inc/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.