Southwest Airlines unveils Steamboat Springs routes, adds new destination during pandemic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Dallas-based low-cost carrier will connect Steamboat Springs (HDN) to Dallas Love Field (DAL) and Denver (DEN), Southwest said Thursday. The seasonal flights begin on Dec. 19 and operate through April 5, 2021.
Travelers who want to hit the slopes this winter can take advantage of introductory fares as low as $49 one-way between Denver and Steamboat, and as low as $69 between Dallas and Steamboat. Tickets are available on Southwest’s website.
Southwest’s new Steamboat Springs service marks a departure for the airline. It is the carrier’s first seasonal destination — or one that it flies to for only part of the year — in its nearly 50 year history. It serves every other airport on its map year-round, though many see seasonal additions and reductions in flights.
“This year, customers are looking to experience more of the nation’s great outdoors,” Southwest commercial chief Andrew Watterson said in a statement. “By linking both Denver and Dallas nonstop to Steamboat Springs, customers across a majority of our network will be able to reach the Rocky Mountains.”
While Steamboat flights were first planned prior to the coronavirus pandemic, it fits within the travel trends that have emerged amid COVID-19. Flyers want to go places where there is outdoor space, for example beaches or mountains, where they can social distance from others.
Southwest, however, noted that its winter schedule remains in flux due to the pandemic. In July, CEO Gary Kelly said the airline anticipates being roughly a quarter smaller in December than it was at the end of 2019.
“While we have fewer flights, we do still have itineraries,” Kelly told The Texas Tribune on Aug. 12. “We’re trying to maintain the integrity of our network. So when you’re ready to fly, there’s a way to get to Portland [Oregon] or a way to get to Boston.”
That network involves a number of connecting airports across Southwest’s route map. These include places like Baltimore/Washington (BWI), Dallas Love Field, Denver — where the airline will add 16 additional gates to its footprint by 2022 — and Phoenix (PHX).
Southwest will offer three daily flights between Denver and Steamboat this winter. Service between Dallas and the Colorado ski town will only operate on Saturdays and Sundays.
In addition, the airline has extended its full schedule to April 11, 2021.
Featured image courtesy of Denver International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.