Southwest Airlines unveils Steamboat Springs routes, adds new destination during pandemic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Dallas-based low-cost carrier will connect Steamboat Springs (HDN) to Dallas Love Field (DAL) and Denver (DEN), Southwest said Thursday. The seasonal flights begin on Dec. 19 and operate through April 5, 2021.
Travelers who want to hit the slopes this winter can take advantage of introductory fares as low as $49 one-way between Denver and Steamboat, and as low as $69 between Dallas and Steamboat. Tickets are available on Southwest’s website.
Southwest’s new Steamboat Springs service marks a departure for the airline. It is the carrier’s first seasonal destination — or one that it flies to for only part of the year — in its nearly 50 year history. It serves every other airport on its map year-round, though many see seasonal additions and reductions in flights.
“This year, customers are looking to experience more of the nation’s great outdoors,” Southwest commercial chief Andrew Watterson said in a statement. “By linking both Denver and Dallas nonstop to Steamboat Springs, customers across a majority of our network will be able to reach the Rocky Mountains.”
While Steamboat flights were first planned prior to the coronavirus pandemic, it fits within the travel trends that have emerged amid COVID-19. Flyers want to go places where there is outdoor space, for example beaches or mountains, where they can social distance from others.
Southwest, however, noted that its winter schedule remains in flux due to the pandemic. In July, CEO Gary Kelly said the airline anticipates being roughly a quarter smaller in December than it was at the end of 2019.
“While we have fewer flights, we do still have itineraries,” Kelly told The Texas Tribune on Aug. 12. “We’re trying to maintain the integrity of our network. So when you’re ready to fly, there’s a way to get to Portland [Oregon] or a way to get to Boston.”
That network involves a number of connecting airports across Southwest’s route map. These include places like Baltimore/Washington (BWI), Dallas Love Field, Denver — where the airline will add 16 additional gates to its footprint by 2022 — and Phoenix (PHX).
Southwest will offer three daily flights between Denver and Steamboat this winter. Service between Dallas and the Colorado ski town will only operate on Saturdays and Sundays.
In addition, the airline has extended its full schedule to April 11, 2021.
Featured image courtesy of Denver International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees