Southwest Airlines to add Chicago O’Hare and Houston Bush Intercontinental
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines is on a tear adding new airports to its route map with Chicago O’Hare and Houston Bush Intercontinental due to join next year.
The Dallas-based carrier will add the large hubs of Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) in early 2021, Southwest commercial chief Andrew Watterson said at the Boyd International Aviation Forecast Summit on Monday. The airline will release service details for both airports at a later date.
The addition of O’Hare and Bush Intercontinental are the latest example of how the coronavirus pandemic is resetting air service in the U.S. Long focused on serving lower-cost secondary airports, Southwest has pushed into several primary airports like New York LaGuardia (LGA) and Washington Reagan National (DCA) during the past decade. Now, COVID-19 is giving the airline an opening to push into more of these primary gateways — an opportunity Southwest has grabbed and run with.
Since the pandemic began, Southwest has added four new destinations to its map. Flights begin to Miami (MIA) and Palm Springs (PSP) on Nov. 15, and to Montrose (MTJ) and Steamboat Springs (HDN) in Colorado on Dec. 19.
The new cities are not a traditional growth play. Even with the additions of Miami and Palm Springs, Southwest will fly about 38% less in November than it flew a year ago, according to Cirium schedules. December flying will be even lower — though schedules are likely to change — at down 44% compared to 2019 even with Montrose and Steamboat flights.
Instead, the flights are about giving travelers more options and generating more revenue for the airline.
“We won’t have a lot of flights but we should have sufficient demand on those flights to contribute cash in this environment,” Southwest CEO Gary Kelly told TPG of the new Miami and Palm Springs service in September.
The airline’s new cities pit Southwest even more against some of its largest competitors. American Airlines has a large hub in Miami, while United Airlines has large hubs at both O’Hare — its home base — and Bush Intercontinental.
Watterson was not forthcoming on what Southwest’s future operations from either O’Hare or Bush Intercontinental will look like. Service to both airports will “complement” the large bases the airline already has in both cities at Chicago Midway (MDW) and Houston Hobby (HOU), respectively, he said.
“We want you to go to the airport that’s most convenient for you,” said Watterson referring to travelers.
Featured image by John Gress Media Inc/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees