Southwest Airlines adds new Hawaii route, connects Sarasota and Savannah to its ‘hubs’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines is further spreading its wings to sun destinations with schedules for its new service to Sarasota, Florida, and Savannah, Georgia, as well as expanded service to Hawaii and Mexican beaches.
The Dallas-based carrier begins flights to Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ) on Feb. 14 and Savannah (SAV) on March 11, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said at the Skift Aviation Forum on Thursday. In addition, it will add new service between Long Beach, California (LGB) and Hawaii on March 11.
The new flights are part of the fastest route-map expansion in Southwest’s history. The airline will add 10 new destinations between November and June in an effort to attract more flyers — and their dollars — while also taking advantage of competitors’ struggles during the coronavirus pandemic. Southwest has historically grown out of recessions.
Southwest will connect Sarasota to four of its large bases — or “hubs” at any other carrier — when flights begin in February. The Gulf Coast city is its 10th in Florida.
- Sarasota – Baltimore/Washington (BWI): three daily flights
- Sarasota – Chicago Midway (MDW): two daily flights
- Sarasota – Houston Hobby (HOU): one daily flight
- Sarasota – Nashville (BNA): two daily flights
Introductory fares to Sarasota begin as low as $69 one-way. Tickets are on sale now.
Savannah will connect to five of Southwest’s bases when flights begin in March.
- Savannah – Baltimore/Washington: two daily flights
- Savannah – Chicago Midway: one daily flight
- Savannah – Dallas Love Field (DAL): one daily flight
- Savannah – Houston Hobby: one daily flight
- Savannah – Nashville: one daily flight
Introductory fares to Savannah begin at $49 one way. Tickets are currently on sale.
Southwest will connect Long Beach to Honolulu (HNL) once daily from March 11. The route follows its award of 17 former JetBlue Airways slots at the Southern California airport in September. Tickets are on sale for as low as $69 one-way on the route.
In addition, the airline will resume service between Orange County’s John Wayne (SNA) airport and both Los Cabos (SJD) and Puerto Vallarta (PVR) in Mexico on March 11. The routes will be Southwest’s only ones between the Los Angeles-area and Mexico.
Southwest last flew the Orange County-Los Cabos route in January but suspended the Orange County-Puerto Vallarta route in 2017, according to Cirium schedules.
Sarasota and Savannah join four other cities getting dots on Southwest’s map in the new year. Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Colorado Springs (COS) flights begin in February and March, respectively, with schedules still pending for new service to Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and Jackson, Mississippi (JAN).
All of Southwest’s new routes come as it prepares to reintroduce the Boeing 737 MAX sometime in April. U.S. authorities ungrounded the jet after 20-months on Nov. 18. The airline has 34 MAX 8s in storage and, while it does not need the planes immediately, CEO Gary Kelly said Thursday they are “anxious to get them back flying.”
Featured image by Jim Watson/ AFP.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.