Southwest Airlines adds new Hawaii route, connects Sarasota and Savannah to its ‘hubs’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines is further spreading its wings to sun destinations with schedules for its new service to Sarasota, Florida, and Savannah, Georgia, as well as expanded service to Hawaii and Mexican beaches.
The Dallas-based carrier begins flights to Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ) on Feb. 14 and Savannah (SAV) on March 11, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said at the Skift Aviation Forum on Thursday. In addition, it will add new service between Long Beach, California (LGB) and Hawaii on March 11.
The new flights are part of the fastest route-map expansion in Southwest’s history. The airline will add 10 new destinations between November and June in an effort to attract more flyers — and their dollars — while also taking advantage of competitors’ struggles during the coronavirus pandemic. Southwest has historically grown out of recessions.
Southwest will connect Sarasota to four of its large bases — or “hubs” at any other carrier — when flights begin in February. The Gulf Coast city is its 10th in Florida.
- Sarasota – Baltimore/Washington (BWI): three daily flights
- Sarasota – Chicago Midway (MDW): two daily flights
- Sarasota – Houston Hobby (HOU): one daily flight
- Sarasota – Nashville (BNA): two daily flights
Introductory fares to Sarasota begin as low as $69 one-way. Tickets are on sale now.
Savannah will connect to five of Southwest’s bases when flights begin in March.
- Savannah – Baltimore/Washington: two daily flights
- Savannah – Chicago Midway: one daily flight
- Savannah – Dallas Love Field (DAL): one daily flight
- Savannah – Houston Hobby: one daily flight
- Savannah – Nashville: one daily flight
Introductory fares to Savannah begin at $49 one way. Tickets are currently on sale.
Southwest will connect Long Beach to Honolulu (HNL) once daily from March 11. The route follows its award of 17 former JetBlue Airways slots at the Southern California airport in September. Tickets are on sale for as low as $69 one-way on the route.
In addition, the airline will resume service between Orange County’s John Wayne (SNA) airport and both Los Cabos (SJD) and Puerto Vallarta (PVR) in Mexico on March 11. The routes will be Southwest’s only ones between the Los Angeles-area and Mexico.
Southwest last flew the Orange County-Los Cabos route in January but suspended the Orange County-Puerto Vallarta route in 2017, according to Cirium schedules.
Sarasota and Savannah join four other cities getting dots on Southwest’s map in the new year. Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Colorado Springs (COS) flights begin in February and March, respectively, with schedules still pending for new service to Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and Jackson, Mississippi (JAN).
All of Southwest’s new routes come as it prepares to reintroduce the Boeing 737 MAX sometime in April. U.S. authorities ungrounded the jet after 20-months on Nov. 18. The airline has 34 MAX 8s in storage and, while it does not need the planes immediately, CEO Gary Kelly said Thursday they are “anxious to get them back flying.”
Featured image by Jim Watson/ AFP.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees