Singapore is looking to allow quarantine-free travel by September
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore is planning to open its borders for international tourism later this year. The country said on Monday that it’s hoping to allow a quarantine-free travel option for fully vaccinated travelers as of September 2021.
By September, the government hopes that 80% of the city-state’s population will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
However, it doesn’t seem as though the nation will open up to all fully vaccinated tourists from September. The government said that instead, it will establish travel corridors with countries or regions where it deems COVID-19 is under control, Finance Minister Lawrence Wong said.
Wong said that the nation will review a final decision on whether it will loosen travel policies in early August.
“The easing will be differentiated and extended to only vaccinated persons, because they are much better protected against the effects of the virus,” Wong said. “If you want to go out to dine in the restaurant or workout in the gym, you have to be fully vaccinated.”
According to Reuters, nearly 75% of Singapore’s residents have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Last week, the city-state instituted new coronavirus-related restrictions amidst a rise in cases around the island. As part of the measures, the government reintroduced a ban on indoor dining and limited the maximum number of people allowed to gather from five to two.
For the duration of the pandemic, Singapore has largely kept its borders locked down to tourism. At multiple points, there were rumblings that the city-state would open a travel bubble with Hong Kong. However, rises in cases of COVID-19 in Singapore and Hong Kong at multiple points have pushed those plans back.
Travelers may want to hold off on booking a trip to Singapore straight away. While Monday’s announcement is promising news for the future of tourism in the country, it remains unclear if fully vaccinated Americans will be among those allowed in for quarantine-free travel if the September plans go ahead.
And, like with most travel restrictions during the pandemic, it’s likely that policies may change at a moment’s notice.
Featured photo by Pham Le Huong Son/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees