Singapore Airlines adds more restrictive “promo” award ticket tier
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines’ Krisflyer loyalty program recently added a new “promo” award tier. As reported by Frequent Miler, this new and more restrictive award tier shows on the Singapore Airlines website when comparing different types of award tickets. This new award tier shows alongside existing Saver and Advantage awards.
According to the comparison chart, the “Promo” award tier will still include complimentary checked bags and seat selection. However, it will not include complimentary stopovers and promo award tickets cannot be changed, canceled or otherwise exchanged. Promo awards show in all classes of service, including premium economy where there’s historically been only one award type.
We’re not seeing any bookable promo award tickets on the Singapore Airlines website as of writing. We may see them roll out post-pandemic when it makes more sense to book inflexible travel again. The Singapore Airlines award chart has not been updated with promo award pricing. When asked about this new award tier, Singapore Airlines told TPG the following:
“The Promo award category is available from time to time when we roll out special redemption promotions for KrisFlyer members.”
Frequent Miler notes that these restrictions are similar to Singapore’s Spontaneous Escapes award tickets offered before the coronavirus pandemic. These awards offered promotional rates on specific routes on last-minute bookings. With this and Singapore’s statement in mind, the new tier is likely be a replacement for Spontaneous Escapes. Alternatively, it could be something similar to American’s Web Special awards which effectively introduced dynamic pricing and — sometimes — higher pricing on high-demand routes.
If promo rewards are a replacement for Spontaneous Escapes, this is good news for consumers. It will make it easier for consumers to book promotional awards and see them alongside other award tiers. That said, I doubt we’ll see these awards be available in the near future as the pandemic continues to make travel plans unpredictable.
Feature photo by Agent Wolf / Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees