This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every month, Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer mileage program puts certain routes on discount through its KrisFlyer “Spontaneous Escapes” program. Now through the end of March, you can score 30% off on certain routes and cabins.
US-based flyers can travel in premium economy between Los Angeles (LAX) and Singapore (SIN) for 47,600 miles each way for flights from May 1-28. This is a 30% discount from the usual redemption rate of 68,000 miles each way.
This is far from the only option, KrisFlyer has a long list of routes that are discounted 30% off the normal rates. For example, travelers can fly between London and Singapore in April 2019 for just 26,600 miles each way in economy from April 14-30:
Or 45,150 miles each way in premium economy.
As Singapore Airlines struggles to sell premium economy seats, these routes are frequent guests in the Spontaneous Escapes program. So, if these dates don’t work out, make sure to check back again in the future.
Other long-haul routes discounted through this program include flights between Singapore and Sydney, Canberra, Tokyo and Seoul. For those looking for hops intra-Asia, there’s dozens of short-haul routes also listed.
If you already have an award flight booked for this period, it could be worth cancelling your existing award, paying a small redeposit fee and re-booking at the lower rate if the dates work out for you.
Airline: Singapore Airlines
Routes: LAX/LHR (and many others) to/from SIN
Purchase By: March 31
Travel Dates: May 1-31 for US routes, April 1-30 for other routes
Booking Link: Directly with KrisFlyer
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier Card, or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
No discount codes or special links are needed for this offer. Just search on KrisFlyer’s website and the discount will automatically be applied at check-out. Note that the un-discounted 68,000-mile rate will appear in the search results:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) nonstop in premium economy for 47,600 miles plus $5.60 in taxes and fees:
London Heathrow (LHR) to Singapore (SIN) nonstop in economy for 26,600 miles plus GBP125 (US$165) in taxes and fees:
London Heathrow (LHR) to Singapore (SIN) nonstop in premium economy for 45,150 miles plus GBP219 (US$289) in taxes and fees:
Even if your Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer balance is zero, you can easily compile a bunch of miles through transfer partners. The KrisFlyer program partners with all of the major transferable currencies:
- American Express Membership Rewards
- Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Citi ThankYou Rewards
- Capital One Venture Miles transfer to the program at a 2:1 ratio.
As a result, you can transfer points from popular cards like The Platinum Card from American Express, the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Citi Premier Card and the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card directly to Singapore to enable these redemptions.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards