Singapore Airlines Named World’s Best Airline of 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines is the world’s best airline for 2019 – at least according to AirlineRatings.com. The flag carrier of Singapore ousted five-year champion Air New Zealand, which has held the coveted title since 2014 and which still claimed second place this year. In comparison, not a single European or North American carrier made it into the Top 10 roster.
The Perth-based website stated that “Singapore Airlines came out number one in many of our audit criteria” during the AirlineRankings.com Annual Excellence Awards Tuesday. The audit, annually conducted by the publication’s seven editors, involves a detailed process that evaluates 12 major factors including fleet age, passenger reviews, profitability, investment rating, product offerings and staff relations.
This year, Singapore Airlines edged out runners-up Air New Zealand, Qantas Airways and Qatar Airways for its “industry-leading in-flight service” as well as its new fleet additions, such as the world’s first Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner and the Airbus A350-900 ULR. Singapore Air also earned praise for its updated interiors, for its commitment to operation safety, and for its relaunch of the longest commercial flight in the world: non-stop service between Singapore and New York. The premium Singapore Suites product also clinched the airline another prize: the prestigious First Class award.
But just because Singapore shone in this year’s rankings doesn’t mean that Air New Zealand fell far short. The flagship carrier of New Zealand claimed the Best Premium Economy and Best Airline Pacific awards, with high praise from AirlineRanking.com editor-in-chief Geoffrey Thomas. “Air New Zealand is one of the few airlines in the world to have an investment grade credit rating, is a staunch supporter of its home country and has been enjoying a healthy expansion in both its domestic and international market, Thomas said. “Its overall product is superb, and its business class bed is outstanding.”
First-time winner Qatar Airways claimed titles for Best Catering, deemed “quite exceptional even in economy class,” as well as Best Business Class for its Qsuite product, while Australian Qantas won Best Domestic Airline Service and Best Lounges awards. Meanwhile, Korean Air claimed Best Economy for its spacious cabins and comfortable, 34-inch pitch seating.
In ranked order, these are the Top 10 Airlines of 2019:
- Singapore Airlines
- Air New Zealand
- Qatar Airways
- Virgin Australia
- All Nippon Airways (ANA)
- EVA Air
- Cathay Pacific
- Japan Airlines
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.