The World’s Largest United Polaris Lounge: By the Numbers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s finally opening the doors to its second Polaris Lounge this coming Monday, April 30, at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) — nearly a year and a half after the first location opened at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
Fast-acting frequent flyers are getting an early look on April 27, but the airline’s also hosting a media preview today, giving us a chance to take a peek at the gigantic new space before it opens to the public.
And boy is it big. To put this space into perspective, Amex is opening the world’s largest Centurion Lounge at New York-JFK in 2019, measuring a whopping 15,000 square feet. United’s latest business-class lounge is nearly twice the size of that.
Given that record-breaking stat, I decided to dig into a few other key figures.
Number of daily Polaris-eligible departing flights: 17
Hours open each day: 18.5 (6:30am-1:00am)
Number of floors: 2
Total square feet: 28,120
Different types of seating: 19
Total seats available: 440
Number of dining tables: 16
Total wines available: 14, including 7 from California wineries
Power outlets: 492, plus another 492 USB ports
Number of shower suites: 8
Total daybeds: 5
I’m most impressed by the lounge’s size, though. The Chicago location fills up quite easily, and that lounge measures in at an impressive 16,292 square feet, with a total of 277 seats. And, that’s not even close to what’s available at SFO, and given the strict access restrictions, I’m hopeful that overcrowding won’t become an issue in San Francisco.
To get in, you’ll need to be traveling in one of the following cabins:
- United Polaris first class
- United Polaris business class
- Star Alliance long-haul first class
- Star Alliance long-haul business class
First-class passengers may also bring a guest, but access is restricted to long-haul intercontinental travel — if you’re flying between the US and Canada, Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean, you won’t have access, unfortunately.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees