The World’s Largest United Polaris Lounge: By the Numbers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s finally opening the doors to its second Polaris Lounge this coming Monday, April 30, at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) — nearly a year and a half after the first location opened at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
Fast-acting frequent flyers are getting an early look on April 27, but the airline’s also hosting a media preview today, giving us a chance to take a peek at the gigantic new space before it opens to the public.
And boy is it big. To put this space into perspective, Amex is opening the world’s largest Centurion Lounge at New York-JFK in 2019, measuring a whopping 15,000 square feet. United’s latest business-class lounge is nearly twice the size of that.
Given that record-breaking stat, I decided to dig into a few other key figures.
Number of daily Polaris-eligible departing flights: 17
Hours open each day: 18.5 (6:30am-1:00am)
Number of floors: 2
Total square feet: 28,120
Different types of seating: 19
Total seats available: 440
Number of dining tables: 16
Total wines available: 14, including 7 from California wineries
Power outlets: 492, plus another 492 USB ports
Number of shower suites: 8
Total daybeds: 5
I’m most impressed by the lounge’s size, though. The Chicago location fills up quite easily, and that lounge measures in at an impressive 16,292 square feet, with a total of 277 seats. And, that’s not even close to what’s available at SFO, and given the strict access restrictions, I’m hopeful that overcrowding won’t become an issue in San Francisco.
To get in, you’ll need to be traveling in one of the following cabins:
- United Polaris first class
- United Polaris business class
- Star Alliance long-haul first class
- Star Alliance long-haul business class
First-class passengers may also bring a guest, but access is restricted to long-haul intercontinental travel — if you’re flying between the US and Canada, Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean, you won’t have access, unfortunately.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees