Countries to Visit if You Only Speak English, a Reasonably Priced Safari, New Capital One Product Additions and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed on TPG this week.
EF compiled a list of the countries you’ll feel most comfortable in if you don’t speak a lick of the native language.
You’ll get the full safari experience for just a fraction of the price.
TPG’s brand new podcast announced the unprecedented additions to Capital One’s products.
Boeing Withheld Key Information About Plane Involved in Lion Air Crash
Pilots and airlines didn’t know about an automated system that pushed the plane’s nose down in certain conditions.
TPG’s take? “While the program isn’t insanely rewarding, it definitely has a solid return. . .”
TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva tells how RwandaAir first class product lines up with other carriers.
Jessica Puckett keeps everyone up to date with the Lion Air crash as new information rolls in.
In Other News. . .
Japan Airlines launches a new Tokyo – Seattle route and is giving flyers a chance to get double miles back.
Atlanta acquires a new Burbank route on Delta as the film industry booms.
Earn 6 United miles per dollar when booking Marriott through the United portal. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, that’s 9 cents per dollar.
American Airlines makes changes to bag fees.
- The second checked bag fee has changed for flights to / from Haiti for tickets issued on / after Nov. 13, 2018 and for travel beginning Jan. 14, 2019.
- If you’re flying to Guyana (GEO), Oaxaca, MX (OAX), Pereira, CO (PEI) or St. Vincent (SVD), you’ll be limited to two checked bags per person for travel between Nov. 15, 2018 and Jan. 13, 2019.
- For travel to / from Port au Prince, Haiti and Honduras, a $40 – $55 second bag fee applies seasonally for tickets issued on / before Nov. 12, 2018 and a year-round second bag fee of $70 for travel to / from Port au Prince, Haiti applies for tickets issued on / after Nov. 13, 2018 and for travel beginning Jan. 14, 2019.
- When flying to Cuba, AA is now charging for the second checked bag. Standard-sized first bag is free, and the second bag fee applies when returning back to Cuba.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees