This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed on TPG this week.
EF compiled a list of the countries you’ll feel most comfortable in if you don’t speak a lick of the native language.
You’ll get the full safari experience for just a fraction of the price.
TPG’s brand new podcast announced the unprecedented additions to Capital One’s products.
Pilots and airlines didn’t know about an automated system that pushed the plane’s nose down in certain conditions.
TPG’s take? “While the program isn’t insanely rewarding, it definitely has a solid return. . .”
TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva tells how RwandaAir first class product lines up with other carriers.
Jessica Puckett keeps everyone up to date with the Lion Air crash as new information rolls in.
In Other News. . .
Japan Airlines launches a new Tokyo – Seattle route and is giving flyers a chance to get double miles back.
Atlanta acquires a new Burbank route on Delta as the film industry booms.
Earn 6 United miles per dollar when booking Marriott through the United portal. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, that’s 9 cents per dollar.
American Airlines makes changes to bag fees.
- The second checked bag fee has changed for flights to / from Haiti for tickets issued on / after Nov. 13, 2018 and for travel beginning Jan. 14, 2019.
- If you’re flying to Guyana (GEO), Oaxaca, MX (OAX), Pereira, CO (PEI) or St. Vincent (SVD), you’ll be limited to two checked bags per person for travel between Nov. 15, 2018 and Jan. 13, 2019.
- For travel to / from Port au Prince, Haiti and Honduras, a $40 – $55 second bag fee applies seasonally for tickets issued on / before Nov. 12, 2018 and a year-round second bag fee of $70 for travel to / from Port au Prince, Haiti applies for tickets issued on / after Nov. 13, 2018 and for travel beginning Jan. 14, 2019.
- When flying to Cuba, AA is now charging for the second checked bag. Standard-sized first bag is free, and the second bag fee applies when returning back to Cuba.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards