This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed on TPG this week.
EF compiled a list of the countries you’ll feel most comfortable in if you don’t speak a lick of the native language.
You’ll get the full safari experience for just a fraction of the price.
TPG’s brand new podcast announced the unprecedented additions to Capital One’s products.
Pilots and airlines didn’t know about an automated system that pushed the plane’s nose down in certain conditions.
TPG’s take? “While the program isn’t insanely rewarding, it definitely has a solid return. . .”
TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva tells how RwandaAir first class product lines up with other carriers.
Jessica Puckett keeps everyone up to date with the Lion Air crash as new information rolls in.
In Other News. . .
Japan Airlines launches a new Tokyo – Seattle route and is giving flyers a chance to get double miles back.
Atlanta acquires a new Burbank route on Delta as the film industry booms.
Earn 6 United miles per dollar when booking Marriott through the United portal. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, that’s 9 cents per dollar.
American Airlines makes changes to bag fees.
- The second checked bag fee has changed for flights to / from Haiti for tickets issued on / after Nov. 13, 2018 and for travel beginning Jan. 14, 2019.
- If you’re flying to Guyana (GEO), Oaxaca, MX (OAX), Pereira, CO (PEI) or St. Vincent (SVD), you’ll be limited to two checked bags per person for travel between Nov. 15, 2018 and Jan. 13, 2019.
- For travel to / from Port au Prince, Haiti and Honduras, a $40 – $55 second bag fee applies seasonally for tickets issued on / before Nov. 12, 2018 and a year-round second bag fee of $70 for travel to / from Port au Prince, Haiti applies for tickets issued on / after Nov. 13, 2018 and for travel beginning Jan. 14, 2019.
- When flying to Cuba, AA is now charging for the second checked bag. Standard-sized first bag is free, and the second bag fee applies when returning back to Cuba.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that