This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If your first (and only) language is English, traveling around certain foreign countries might be difficult due to language barriers. Obviously, English-speaking countries like Ireland and the United Kingdom are easiest to navigate for Americans abroad, however, the EF Proficiency Index has provided a list of the top countries around the world that best handle (or, perhaps, tolerate) English speakers in 2018.
The ranking system goes as follows: about 88 countries and regions were analyzed and broken up into five groups based on their levels of English proficiency. The top spot went to Sweden, which had a score of 70.72 with a majority of skilled English speakers located in the capital city, Stockholm. Other top contenders include the Netherlands, Singapore, Norway and Denmark in that order. At the bottom of the list is Cambodia, Uzbekistan, Iraq. Bringing up the rear is Libya, which takes the 88th and last spot in English proficiency with a score of 39.64.
So what do these statistics mean? According to the EF website, use of English measures quite a lot when it comes to understanding the countries and cities in which they are (or aren’t) spoken in. Countries ranked toward the top of the list generally pulled higher numbers in other statistics like social progressiveness, economic variety, technological advancements and job abundance.
To take a look at the full ranking of all 88 countries, check out the EF study here.
Featured image by fotoVoyager via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees