These Are the Top Countries to Visit if You’re (Only) an English Speaker
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If your first (and only) language is English, traveling around certain foreign countries might be difficult due to language barriers. Obviously, English-speaking countries like Ireland and the United Kingdom are easiest to navigate for Americans abroad, however, the EF Proficiency Index has provided a list of the top countries around the world that best handle (or, perhaps, tolerate) English speakers in 2018.
The ranking system goes as follows: about 88 countries and regions were analyzed and broken up into five groups based on their levels of English proficiency. The top spot went to Sweden, which had a score of 70.72 with a majority of skilled English speakers located in the capital city, Stockholm. Other top contenders include the Netherlands, Singapore, Norway and Denmark in that order. At the bottom of the list is Cambodia, Uzbekistan, Iraq. Bringing up the rear is Libya, which takes the 88th and last spot in English proficiency with a score of 39.64.
So what do these statistics mean? According to the EF website, use of English measures quite a lot when it comes to understanding the countries and cities in which they are (or aren’t) spoken in. Countries ranked toward the top of the list generally pulled higher numbers in other statistics like social progressiveness, economic variety, technological advancements and job abundance.
To take a look at the full ranking of all 88 countries, check out the EF study here.
Featured image by fotoVoyager via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees