These Are the Top Countries to Visit if You’re (Only) an English Speaker
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If your first (and only) language is English, traveling around certain foreign countries might be difficult due to language barriers. Obviously, English-speaking countries like Ireland and the United Kingdom are easiest to navigate for Americans abroad, however, the EF Proficiency Index has provided a list of the top countries around the world that best handle (or, perhaps, tolerate) English speakers in 2018.
The ranking system goes as follows: about 88 countries and regions were analyzed and broken up into five groups based on their levels of English proficiency. The top spot went to Sweden, which had a score of 70.72 with a majority of skilled English speakers located in the capital city, Stockholm. Other top contenders include the Netherlands, Singapore, Norway and Denmark in that order. At the bottom of the list is Cambodia, Uzbekistan, Iraq. Bringing up the rear is Libya, which takes the 88th and last spot in English proficiency with a score of 39.64.
So what do these statistics mean? According to the EF website, use of English measures quite a lot when it comes to understanding the countries and cities in which they are (or aren’t) spoken in. Countries ranked toward the top of the list generally pulled higher numbers in other statistics like social progressiveness, economic variety, technological advancements and job abundance.
To take a look at the full ranking of all 88 countries, check out the EF study here.
Featured image by fotoVoyager via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.