Royal Caribbean unveils yet another first-ever home port as it ramps up comeback plans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Add Cyprus to the list of unusual places that will soon be home to a Royal Caribbean ship.
Royal Caribbean on Thursday said it would begin seven-night departures out of Limassol, Cyprus, on July 10 with its 2,191-passenger Jewel of the Seas.
The voyages will focus on destinations in Greece including Piraeus, Greece (the port for Athens) and the Greek islands of Rhodes, Crete, Mykonos and Santorini.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
The trips will mark the first time that Royal Caribbean has based a ship in Cyprus in its 52-year history and come as the line is looking for countries that will allow it to restart cruising in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Royal Caribbean and other lines have been blocked by health officials for the past year from restarting cruises in some of the world’s biggest cruise hubs including ports in the U.S. and Canada.
In recent days, Royal Caribbean also has announced plans for its first sailings out of Bermuda and its first sailings out of Nassau, in the Bahamas, both of which will start soon. The line also plans its first voyages out of Israel, albeit for Israeli residents only. The line has also been operating cruises out of Singapore since December for residents only.
Royal Caribbean said the new sailings out of Cyprus would be open to travelers from any country. One major caveat: Adults who want to sail must show proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Children under the age of 18 will be able to sail with just proof of a negative COVID-19 test. All crew also will be required to have COVID-19 vaccinations to work on the ship.
The line suggested such restrictions could evolve over time.
Royal Caribbean also noted that passengers on the voyages would have to meet the travel requirements of Cyprus.
“We know how eager our guests are to enjoy a getaway this summer, and these sailings, which include a mix of fantastic destinations and must-visit islands, make for the perfect getaway,” Royal Caribbean president and CEO Michael Bayley said in a statement. “Cyprus is a beautiful island, and we are thankful to the Cypriot government for their support and enthusiasm in making these incredible itineraries possible.”
In a statement, the deputy minister of tourism for Cyprus, Savvas Perdios, welcomed Royal Caribbean and its newly announced sailings.
“We are delighted that Royal Caribbean will call Limassol its home port for the first time ever,” Perdios said. “This has been an ambition of ours for many years, and we are thrilled that, finally, this dream has come to fruition.”
The new Cyprus trips will open for bookings on April 7.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image courtesy of Royal Caribbean
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees