Register for these benefits with the Amex Gold Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express® Gold Card ranks among the best travel cards in the game. It earns valuable Amex Membership Rewards points, which TPG values at 2 cents each. It offers you a fistful of travel coverages.
But the demographic it serves perhaps best of all is foodies. It’s got multiple perks that serve restaurant spending — but you’ll have to enroll in two important ones before you use them. Here’s what you need to do as soon as you get your Amex Gold.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Intro to the Amex Gold Card
Here are the need-to-know details about the Amex Gold Card:
- 60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first six months of account opening (worth $1,200)
- 4 points per dollar on dining at restaurants and up to $25,000 in purchases at U.S. supermarkets per calendar year (then 1 point per dollar)
- 3 points per dollar on flights booked directly from the airline or via Amex Travel
- 1 point per dollar on all other eligible purchases
- Trip delay reimbursement
- Baggage insurance
- Up to $120 annual dining credit*
- Up to $120 in annual Uber Cash*
- $250 annual fee (see rates and fees)
- Terms Apply
*Enrollment is required for a couple of these benefits, which we’ll examine below.
Up to $120 in annual dining credit
The Amex Gold offers up to $120 in statement credits each year when you pay with the card at participating dining partners, including Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, some Shake Shack locations and Boxed. The only catch is that the $120 is doled out in monthly $10 increments.
While this benefit would be more useful if the dining credit triggered after any restaurant transaction, it’s still quite easy to use. Many of us frequently use Grubhub or Seamless to have food delivered. And who doesn’t spend at least $10 on dining each month? You can even order pickup with Grubhub to avoid fees eating into your monthly credit.
You’ll need to enroll through the American Express website to activate this credit. You’ll find it by clicking the “Benefits” tab at the top of your online account. This benefit is use-it-or-lose-it, so be sure to make an eligible restaurant purchase each month!
Up to $120 in annual Uber Cash
The Amex Gold also offers up to $120 in Uber Cash each year. Similar to the annual dining credit, this perk is offered in monthly $10 statement credits.
Whether you ride with Uber or not, you can almost certainly max out this credit each month for one simple reason: Uber Cash can be used for both Uber rides and Uber Eats in the U.S. In other words, you can use this credit almost exactly like the above dining credit. Uber also allows you to order pickup to avoid delivery fees.
To use this credit, simply add your Amex Gold as a payment method in your Uber wallet. You’ll automatically receive $10 in credit each month to be used on rides or food. It will look similar to the below screenshot (though I’ve got The Platinum Card® from American Express, so I get $15 in Uber Cash per month; enrollment required).
Just like the dining credit, any Uber Cash you receive from the Amex Gold will expire at the end of the month. Other Uber Cash will accrue, but none deposited from American Express.
As soon as you receive your Amex Gold, you should do two things:
- Head into your account to enroll in the annual dining credit
- Add your Amex Gold as a payment method to your Uber wallet
If you forget, you may find a higher balance on your card than you thought after making eligible purchases. I’ve been guilty of this myself with Amex cards and have even missed out on $100 in savings!
You can apply here for the American Express® Gold Card with a 60,000-point welcome bonus.
Check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’ve been selected for an even higher welcome bonus.
Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees