You can redeem Delta SkyMiles for top-shelf Champagne — is it worth it?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s plenty to love about Delta Sky Clubs. They’re easy to gain entry to and the complimentary food and drink options are usually a step above most domestic lounges. But perhaps the best-kept secret of these lounges is the ability to redeem Delta SkyMiles for top-shelf Champagne.
In addition to a selection of complimentary house wines, well liquor and beer, Sky Clubs also offer an extensive menu of premium drinks for purchase — either with cash or miles — including brands like Dom Perignon. Historically, you would get 2 cents in value per mile on these redemptions, which was phenomenal. However, as pointed out by One Mile at a Time, Delta has now devalued these redemptions.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Redeeming Delta SkyMiles for premium alcohol at Sky Clubs
Delta has updated its Sky Club premium alcohol menu. Along with that, it has updated some of its pricing. Notably, you’ll now only get 1.5 cents in value per mile when paying with miles, instead of 2 cents per mile. This is a fixed redemption rate so it doesn’t matter what type of alcohol you’re redeeming for or if you’re purchasing by the glass or bottle.
A 25% devaluation is a painful loss no matter how you look at it. That said, redeeming your SkyMiles for premium alcohol may still be worthwhile. TPG values SkyMiles at 1.1 cents apiece so you’ll still be getting an above-average return. Not to mention, non-travel redemptions are usually much less valuable.
Some notable Champagnes Delta has on offer include Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label ($90/6,000 miles per bottle) and Dom Pérignon ($39/2,600 miles per glass or $195/13,000 miles per bottle). Other premium drinks include Grey Goose ($9/600 miles), Patron Extra Anejo ($18/1,200 miles) and Johnnie Walker Blue Label ($33/2,200 miles). Brands like Krug and Louis Roederer Cristal that were previously on offer are no longer available.
Just remember that if you purchase an entire bottle, it must be consumed in the Sky Club. You, unfortunately, can’t take bottles to-go — even if they’re unopened.
Whether you gain your Delta SkyClub access from elite status, a premium-cabin ticket, or a card (such as The Platinum Card® from American Express or the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card; must have card and same-day corresponding airline ticket), you can redeem your SkyMiles for some of the best Champagne out there. The redemption rate may not be as valuable as it once was, but you’ll still get an above-average return.
Featured photo by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees