Qatar Airways launches ‘basic’ business class fares
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Many airlines around the world have been offering “basic” economy fares for several years now. Unfortunately, some airlines have begun capitalizing on a new trend of offering basic business-class fares.
Stay up-to-date on airline and aviation news by signing up for our new biweekly aviation newsletter.
Qatar Airways has begun selling unbundled business-class fares in most markets, including flights from the U.S. to the Middle East. Based on our initial searches, the new fares don’t actually appear cheaper than what you would have expected to pay previously. Instead, they lack some key services and amenities that used to be free
“Classic” business class fares on Qatar Airways no longer include advance seat selection or complimentary lounge access. The fares still include the usual checked baggage allowance, free stopovers, earn miles and can be changed or canceled. However, depending on the program you credit to, you may earn less miles than other business class fares and pay a higher cancellation fee. (Note, Qatar is free changes for all new bookings made through Dec. 31, 2020.)
The new restrictions only apply to business-class tickets booking into the “R” fare class. Business-class award tickets book into the “U” class so they are unaffected.
While you’ll need to pull up your reservation on Qatar’s website to see the price, you will be able to purchase access to the Al Mourjan Business Lounge. Unlike many basic economy products, which typically allow advance seat selection for a fee, it appears that this fare does not offer any advance seat selection at all. This is especially bad news for groups that would want to reserve a “quad” in the Qsuite cabin.
Oneworld Sapphire (i.e. American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum) and Emerald members (i.e. AAdvantage Executive Platinum) members will continue to get complimentary lounge access regardless of their tickets as a part of their elite benefits — albeit to Qatar’s lounges specifically for Oneworld elites, not the Al Mourjan lounge.
Other airlines that offer ‘basic’ business class
Qatar is not the only airline to offer unbundled business-class fares. In June of 2019, Emirates introduced “special” business-class fares that exclude advance seat selection, chauffeur service and lounge access (unless you get it as a part of your elite status). Several other airlines, such as Finnair and ZIPAIR have since followed suit. Lufthansa also plans to differentiate its business-class products once it takes delivery of its 777X aircraft.
Unbundled business-class fares are unfortunately becoming increasingly popular. These fares aren’t priced lower than business-class fares were in the past, so you’ll now need to pay more for perks that used to be included. On the bright side, award tickets are unaffected.
Featured image by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees