How to book Qatar Airways flights with points and miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways has an excellent reputation amongst travelers worldwide. TPG has awarded its Qsuite business-class product as the best business class in the world, and its economy class and first class (found only on its A380s) is also very highly regarded.
- Approaching perfection: A review of Qatar Airways’ Qsuite business class on the 777-300ER, Doha to JFK
- I Didn’t Want to Leave the Plane: A Review of Qatar Airways Economy on the A380 From Doha to London
As a member of the Oneworld alliance, there are plenty of ways to book seats on this airline using points. And, Qatar makes a good deal of seats in all classes available to partner airlines. Qatar Airways does not have premium economy.
Here’s how to book seats with Qatar Airways with popular miles and points currencies.
British Airways Executive Club Avios
Per flight, British Airways charges the following Avios from the U.K. to Qatar’s hub in Doha (DOH), one-way per person:
- Economy: 20,750 Avios
- Business: 62,000 Avios
- First (where available): 82,500 Avios
Keep in mind you will owe fees, taxes and substantial fuel surcharges. You can book these flights directly on the British Airways website.
Iberia Plus Avios
If you either have you Avios in your Iberia Plus account or are considering transferring Avios between different programs that use Avios, note that Iberia Plus prices out Oneworld partner awards as round-trips. Both British Airways Avios and Iberia Plus Avios programs are transfer partners of American Express Membership Rewards at a rate of 1:1.
Per flight, Iberia charges the following Avios from the U.K. to Doha, round-trip per person:
- Economy: 81,500 Avios (equivalent of 40,750 one-way)
- Business: 100,000 Avios (equivalent of 50,000 one-way)
- First (where available): 150,000 Avios (equivalent of 75,000 one-way)
Keep in mind you will owe fees, taxes and substantial fuel surcharges. If you are booking a round-trip itinerary in business class, you will require noticeably fewer Avios through Iberia than you would through British Airways.
You can book these flights directly on the Iberia Plus website, though note its website is not nearly as user-friendly as the British Airways website, so you may wish to confirm availability on the British Airways website and then book through Iberia.
American Airlines AAdvantage miles
If you have American AAdvantage miles, the program allows one-way redemptions and though fees and taxes are payable as through other programs, you will avoid the high fuel surcharges that British Airways and Iberia will impose on redemptions, so you can expect the overall co-payment to be lower.
Per flight, American charges the following number of AAdvantage miles from the U.K. to Doha, one-way per person:
- Economy: 20,000 AAdvantage miles
- Business: 42,500 AAdvantage miles
- First (where available): 62,500 AAdvantage miles
Qatar Airways-operated flights can be directly booked on the AA website.
Qatar Privilege Club Qmiles
Per flight, Qatar charges the following Qmiles from the U.K. to Doha, one-way per person:
- Economy: 29,000 Qmiles
- Business: 58,000 Qmiles
Qatar does not charge extreme fuel surcharges, so you can expect the overall fees and taxes amount to be lower than using Avios as a result. These flights can be booked directly on Qatar’s website.
Qatar Airways is one of the world’s best airlines and has excellent products in all its classes. And fortunately, it makes a good amount of these seats available to book with points and miles. For more, check our ultimate guide to Qatar Qsuite.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees