Lufthansa Will Charge for Some Biz Class Perks on Its 777X Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa has revealed its newest business class product, which will let passengers choose perks or upgrades they want to pay for, the Australian Business Traveler reports. The new model for the cabin will be rolled out on the airline’s Boeing 777-9 aircraft, expected to be delivered in 2020.
Unlike the new Emirates “Basic” Business class, which restricts features like lounge access from passengers, Lufthansa is not offering a discounted product. The airline says it will instead provide the same business class staples as before while allowing travelers to select additional options on top of their fare.
While all passengers will still enjoy access to business lounges and inflight meals, they’ll soon have the option to pay more for extras like a larger bed, extra desk space or additional privacy.
Lufthansa spokesman Harry Hohmeister said that customers’ tastes for peaceful flights and the desire to customize their experiences are the key reasons for the change. “It’s really this privacy which is ‘premium,’ or what is defining ‘premium’ in these days: so too is individualism, and this is a trend to which the answer is our new business class concept,” he said.
À la carte choices aren’t the only update coming on the new 777. Lufthansa’s new planes will have aisle access for all seats in biz with a new alternating 1-2-1 and 1-1-1 seating layout. The new seating arrangement will also offer all business passengers additional privacy. Of course, those “throne” seats in the middle row will now cost you extra.
Hohmeister reassured fliers that if they don’t want to pay extra, they can expect the same product.
“It’s not unbundling, it’s upgrading,” he said, describing the new price structure. He added that passengers can expect the base fare for biz tickets to remain comparable to their current product.
Featured photo by Daniel Ross/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees