Lufthansa Will Charge for Some Biz Class Perks on Its 777X Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa has revealed its newest business class product, which will let passengers choose perks or upgrades they want to pay for, the Australian Business Traveler reports. The new model for the cabin will be rolled out on the airline’s Boeing 777-9 aircraft, expected to be delivered in 2020.
Unlike the new Emirates “Basic” Business class, which restricts features like lounge access from passengers, Lufthansa is not offering a discounted product. The airline says it will instead provide the same business class staples as before while allowing travelers to select additional options on top of their fare.
While all passengers will still enjoy access to business lounges and inflight meals, they’ll soon have the option to pay more for extras like a larger bed, extra desk space or additional privacy.
Lufthansa spokesman Harry Hohmeister said that customers’ tastes for peaceful flights and the desire to customize their experiences are the key reasons for the change. “It’s really this privacy which is ‘premium,’ or what is defining ‘premium’ in these days: so too is individualism, and this is a trend to which the answer is our new business class concept,” he said.
À la carte choices aren’t the only update coming on the new 777. Lufthansa’s new planes will have aisle access for all seats in biz with a new alternating 1-2-1 and 1-1-1 seating layout. The new seating arrangement will also offer all business passengers additional privacy. Of course, those “throne” seats in the middle row will now cost you extra.
Hohmeister reassured fliers that if they don’t want to pay extra, they can expect the same product.
“It’s not unbundling, it’s upgrading,” he said, describing the new price structure. He added that passengers can expect the base fare for biz tickets to remain comparable to their current product.
Featured photo by Daniel Ross/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.