Qatar unveils new business-class, coach cabins for its latest Boeing 787s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways continue to elevate the onboard passenger experience.
The latest development comes as the airline gears up to inaugurate its newest jet, the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, into passenger service on Friday (June 25). Along with the new plane comes a new cabin, and this one looks swanky.
Though it’s not the carrier’s top-notch (and TPG Award-winning) Qsuite biz, the forward cabin on the new -9 Dreamliner is outfitted with a brand-new business-class product, dubbed the Adient Ascent seat.
Each row is configured in a 1-2-1 configuration, with 30 suites spread across the cabin. Each pod offers direct aisle access. Window seats are angled towards the window and fuselage, while the center seats are angled away from each other, providing extra privacy.
Plus, each pod has a sliding door, creating an enclosed suite, perfect for longer red-eye flights. If you’re traveling as a couple, the privacy panels between the center seats can be lowered, easily creating a double bed, and larger relaxation space for you both.
Each seat converts into a 79-inch lie-flat bed and will feature Qatar’s top-notch bedding.
Other enhancements to the new product include a dedicated phone holder, equipped with wireless charging technology compatible with both iOS and Android devices, similar to JetBlue’s new Mint product.
Qatar will become the launch customer for the Adient Ascent seat, though Hawaiian Airlines has also announced plans to install this seat on its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners.
Other than the 30 biz pods, the remainder of the jet is configured with 281 coach seats. Though the details are limited, the carrier tapped Recaro to produce the seats.
Coach passengers can enjoy a 13-inch Panasonic inflight entertainment system, in addition to a personal device holder for both phones and larger tablets. Additionally, each armrest rotates to be completely stowed into the backrest, which, according to Qatar, provides “a more comfortable and spacious experience.”
For now, the cabin pictures are limited to just one overview shot of the business-class cabin, so we’ll have to wait until we get an opportunity to fly on the jet for a better sense of the changes to both biz and coach.
If you’re looking to fly Qatar’s new 787-9, you’ll find it deployed on short- and medium-haul routes from Doha, to the following destinations:
- Athens (ATH)
- Barcelona (BCN)
- Dammam (DMM)
- Karachi (KHI)
- Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
- Madrid (MAD)
- Milan (MXP)
The Doha-based airline ordered 30 Boeing 787-9s, and started taking delivery of these planes at the end of 2019. They initially flew cargo flights for Qatar Airways, but now the carrier is shifting them to passenger service. It’s possible that the airline will deploy 787-9s on additional routes as it takes delivery of more jets, but for now, only select passengers will enjoy the new cabins.
For everyone else, the carrier still offers its top-notch Qsuite product, which remains one of the world’s top two business-class products.
Featured photo courtesy of Qatar Airways
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees