Qatar Airways delays 787-9 delivery due to new Qsuite design
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways announced that the delivery of its first Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft has been delayed due to difficulties in installing a modified version of its Qsuite business-class seat.
The Gulf carrier’s Qsuite currently installed on select Boeing 777 and Airbus A350 aircraft is widely regarded as the world’s best business-class product. Its current fleet of Dreamliners, of the smaller 787-8 variant, is fitted with Qatar’s previous generation reverse herringbone business-class seat. Qatar has previously said it would install a modified version of the Qsuite in its 787-9 fleet due to the cabin being slightly narrower than the 777 and A350.
The first Dreamliners to receive the new Qsuite are the 787-9 variant, of which Qatar has 30 on order. The first of these is ready to be delivered, but Qatar CEO Akbar Al Baker told Alex Macheras that the aircraft cannot yet enter service because the seat is “not quite ready”. Al Baker has revealed few details of the seat, only describing it as “a new variant, next-generation Qsuite”. Though the 777 and A350 seat is quite heavy, the new 787 Qsuite seat will be at least 22% lighter in weight.
The airline’s Airbus A380 aircraft were originally planned to also receive a modified Qsuite seat as part of a refurbishment program, though this plan has been abandoned, as the airline will retire these aircraft within the next five years.
One of the most unique features of the airline’s current Qsuite cabin is the unique quad seats, where four passengers can sit together.
We have reached out to Qatar Airways to inquire if features like the quad seats would remain in the new 787-9 cabin, but we have not heard back by time of publication.
Featured photo by Steve Parsons/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees