From discounts on shore excursions to spa treatments, showing loyalty to Princess Cruises just got more rewarding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Showing loyalty to Princess Cruises just got more rewarding.
The California-based line on Thursday announced several new perks for top-tier Platinum and Elite members of its Captain’s Circle loyalty program, including:
- a 10% discount on shore excursions
- a 10% discount on spa treatments
- a 10% discount on photo gallery offerings
- exclusive, early access to Dine My Way dining reservations
In addition, Princess will now give Platinum and Elite members a 50% discount on the unlimited, premium Wi-Fi with MedallionNet internet packages that are available on its ships.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter
This latter perk will replace the limited number of free minutes of internet that Platinum and Elite members of the Captain’s Club have gotten on Princess ships until now.
Platinum and Elite members have been receiving 150 to 500 minutes of free internet per cruise, depending on cruise length.
Among the world’s biggest cruise lines, Princess traditionally has had one of the more modest loyalty programs, with just four tiers (Gold, Ruby, Platinum and Elite) and relatively limited rewards even at the highest tiers.
Until now, one of the most valuable perks that Princess offered to its most loyal passengers was complimentary laundry service (at the top Elite level).
The new discounts for top-tier members on shore excursions, spa treatments and photo gallery offerings are a first for the line.
The new exclusive access to Dine My Way reservations will allow Platinum and Elite members of the Captain’s Circle program to book restaurant reservations in advance of sailings even before they’ve made final payment for a cruise. That’s something Princess cruisers haven’t been able to do until now.
The new perks for Platinum and Elite members of the Captain’s Circle program are in addition to such longstanding Platinum and Elite perks as priority check-in at embarkation and access to a disembarkation lounge on the last day of a cruise.
Elite members only have also gotten and will continue to get priority access to ship-to-shore shuttles, priority disembarkation, a complimentary minibar setup in their cabins, complimentary shoe shines while onboard ships and several other benefits.
How to get the new perks
Members of the Captain’s Circle program can rise through its tiers to the Platinum and Elite level two different ways — either by hitting milestones for “cruise credits” or for “cruise days.”
In most cases, members earn 1 “cruise credit” for each cruise they take and 1 “cruise day” for every night spent on a ship. So on a typical seven-night cruise, you would earn 7 cruise days in addition to 1 cruise credit.
But Princess also doubles your cruise credit earnings if you sail in a full suite (mini-suites, Club Class suites and upgrades to suites are excluded) or sail solo.
Members need six cruise credits or 51 cruise days to reach the Platinum level. They hit Elite level after 16 cruise credits or 151 cruise days.
Note that, as is often the case with cruise line loyalty programs, Princess customers do not have to requalify for status each year. Captain’s Circle members keep their points at the end of each year and continue to accrue points indefinitely. That means that someone who hits Elite status will remain at that top tier level forever (or until Princess makes a change to the program).
Such “forever status” is one of the great allures of cruise line frequent cruiser programs. Most airline frequent flyer programs, by contrast, require loyalty members to requalify for status each year.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured photo courtesy of Princess Cruises.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees