This program lets you buy an airline ticket — and then watch it grow in value
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At TPG, we paused traveling to help slow the spread of COVID-19. Local and federal governments around the globe are now debating the appropriate levels of isolation and distancing. Before booking that next trip, we recommend you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions. TPG is continuing to publish deals, reviews and general travel news to inform and prepare you for that trip, whether it is next month or next year.
Not sure when to book that future trip? Plusgrade may have a solution that could help you get better value out of your next flight.
For all your TPG news and more ways to save money subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Plusgrade, the company behind many airline upgrade bidding systems, just launched a new initiative called “Travel Again” that aims to accelerate the travel industry’s post-coronavirus recovery. Its plan? Entice travelers with certificates for flights that will grow in value over time. The first major airline to join the initiative will be LATAM airlines.
Here’s how it works: You buy a certificate for $100 to $1,200 and that value will grow over time at a rate set by the airline. In LATAM’s case, the rate is set at 5%, so if you bought a travel certificate for $500, it would increase by $150 over six months, upgrading your certificate value to $650.
Related: State-by-state guide to reopenings
Airlines can choose to use the program differently to incentivize travelers who want to travel sooner. For example, Plusgrade said in a press release that it is “encouraging participating airlines and cruise lines to weight the significance of earlier travel. The suggested configuration is to make the certificate worth its highest value shortly after purchase, and then reach a lower level of increase as time goes on.”
“In a world where people dream of traveling by air again as soon as possible, the Plusgrade Travel Again program helps both airlines and passengers by creating a genuine win-win scenario,” said Dr. Joe Leader, CEO, Airline Passenger Experience Association (APEX). “The program helps our airlines worldwide receive revenue today. It helps airline passengers that see their travel certificate investment grow quickly.”
Featured photo by John Milner/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Additional resources for traveling during the coronavirus outbreak:
- How coronavirus is impacting airline award availability
- How coronavirus has left the travel industry reeling
- Airlines scale back inflight offerings due to coronavirus
- How to ward off coronavirus in your hotel room
- Guide to traveling during the coronavirus outbreak
- Extreme measures cruise lines are taking during coronavirus
Features photo by John Milner/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.