Under new management: Plaza Premium now running most Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic has handed over management duties of its famed Clubhouse airport lounges outside of the United Kingdom to independent operator Plaza Premium, which currently oversees 180 lounges at nearly 50 airports around the world. Given the great reputation Virgin Clubhouses have among travelers for their customer service as well as their food and beverage offerings, this could be a rather substantial change.
And it starts today, with the reopening of the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at JFK airport in New York City. That lounge, which Virgin Atlantic Upper Class customers, Flying Club Gold members and Delta’s Gold, Platinum, and Diamond Medallion members have access to, is now being operated by Plaza Premium.
The experience at the lounge has been adjusted to account for pandemic safety protocols. All guests are encouraged to remain seated and enjoy the table service offered by the Clubhouse staff.
“Whilst customers will continue to enjoy the Clubhouse experience they know and love, the award-winning Plaza Premium group will bring a wealth of experience to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse offering,” Virgin Atlantic said in a statement addressing the new partnership.
Plaza Premium will also take over the management of all Virgin Clubhouses outside of the United Kingdom, such as the locations in Boston (BOS), San Francisco (SFO), Washington (IAD), and Johannesburg (JNB), once they reopen. The JFK lounge is the first U.S. Clubhouse to reopen since the pandemic. The airline’s flagship lounge, the Clubhouse at Heathrow as well as others within the U.K., will continue to be directly overseen by Virgin Atlantic.
Virgin Atlantic and Plaza Premium announced they will also be teaming up to bring new lounges to other key hubs in the Virgin Atlantic travel network, but no specific timetable for new locations was given.
Anyone who has visited a Virgin Clubhouse knows they offer one of the best airport lounge experiences. The complimentary a la carte menu features five-star dining options, tapas, and afternoon tea, as well as a healthy selection of spirits, wine and sodas. Some of the breakfast offerings include eggs benedict, avocado on toast and a full English breakfast. Lunch and dinner can include everything from chicken tikka masala to a Beyond Burger for vegans.
Will Plaza Premium taking over mean a reduction in the exceptional service that has made Virgin Clubhouses a favorite among travelers? Some industry observers suspect this new arrangement may be about Virgin trying to cut costs after enduring what it called the “most devastating year” in the company’s history due to the coronavirus.
One possibility is that this could provide a new revenue stream for the airline, by offering paid entry to the lounges outside of Virgin Atlantic flight schedules, for passengers on other airlines. The Clubhouse in San Francisco International has been available to Priority Pass members during off-peak hours since 2019, so it’s not uncharted territory for Virgin. It should be noted that the San Francisco Clubhouse, when it was open, offered a much severely pared-back range of food and drinks for people who used Priority Pass to get in, so they should not expect the full Clubhouse experience.
The other Clubhouses are only open at certain hours of the day, based on Virgin’s flights. For example, the JFK Clubhouse is open from 5 am to 8:30 am, and also from 3 pm to 5:30 pm. There are lots of openings in between there to let in paying customers looking to unwind in a lounge before they board their flight.
The challenge will be if Plaza Premium can do that and maintain the high levels of customer service that people have become accustomed to finding at Virgin Clubhouse lounges.
Featured image by Virgin Atlantic
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees