People in Airports Are Paying $30 to Sit in a Box the Size of a Bathroom Stall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve traveled through LaGuardia Airport (LGA) recently, you might have noticed an unassuming box ranging in colors from pearl to purple. If you were really paying attention, you might have even noticed a person inside. Chances are, though, you probably saw it out of the corner of your eye, did a slight double take, and then continued on over to the lounge or your gate.
But if Jabbrrbox has their way, these 7-foot glass boxes will become a regular sight in many crowded spaces and airports around the world. And, not only will you start to notice them, but you’ll actually use them, too.
The company was founded on the idea that our lives are becoming too chaotic. Too noisy. Too…much. It bills itself as “Your private office, whenever you need it.” After all, what better place to seclude yourself from the rest of the public, than in the middle of a busy airport?
It sounds crazy, but people are lining up to try them; just ask Jeremy Gordon, who wrote a piece on Jabbrrbox for The Outline. Skeptical at first — who would pay to sit in a box by themselves for an hour?! — he was intrigued by the different lighting options, Wi-Fi, and of course, the Photo Booth option. But the most valuable part, he said, was the ability to get away from it all. Let’s be honest: running to work, taking care of errands, and tending to personal commitments — all while squeezing in a flight or two — leaves little time for peace, quiet, and privacy. By the end of his time in the Jabbrrbox, he was messaging his coworker saying it was the, “greatest decision,” he ever made.
Airports overstimulate your senses; there are lights, sounds, smells, not to mention people— everywhere. Even lounges, which are known for being a place to relax and escape for a bit, are sometimes overcrowded and loud. So, it stands to reason that the Jabbrrboxes in LaGuardia are the first public installation of these spaces.
The company hopes to have more of these up and running in locations around the world. Think: Offices with open floor plans, where privacy is hard to come by. After all, people pay exorbitant amounts of money to sit in private suites on planes. What’s stopping them from doing the same thing on the ground?
Keep an eye out for them before your next flight — and the other eye on our site for a full review.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.