Watch the Bomb Cyclone Blow the Roof off a LaGuardia Airport Hangar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 3/3/18: AA reached out to clarify that this particular hangar is used to store service equipment and parts, so no aircraft were directly impacted. Additionally, the roof remains functional, so it sounds like Friday’s storm damage is mostly cosmetic in nature.
Anyone who’s flown through New York City’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) during inclement weather knows that even the lightest rain shower can lead to significant delays.
Friday was especially hellish at LaGuardia, though, thanks to the bomb cyclone tearing up the Northeast Coast. Per FlightAware data, some 700+ flights to and from LGA have been canceled so far today — and that number will grow through the evening. It’s clear why.
Via TPG contributor Jason Rabinowitz‘s ever-reliable Twitter account, things got especially hairy during the day, as shared by Florida-based consultant Troy Bernier. I’ll let the video speak for itself:
This particular hangar reportedly belongs to American Airlines, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s weeks before AA can put it to use again.
While many LGA delays leave travelers scratching their heads, there’s no question that cancellations were more than justified during today’s storm.
For more on Friday’s cancellations, see More Than 2,300 Flights Cancelled Already Friday as Bomb Cyclone Wreaks Havoc.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees