This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 3/3/18: AA reached out to clarify that this particular hangar is used to store service equipment and parts, so no aircraft were directly impacted. Additionally, the roof remains functional, so it sounds like Friday’s storm damage is mostly cosmetic in nature.
Anyone who’s flown through New York City’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) during inclement weather knows that even the lightest rain shower can lead to significant delays.
Friday was especially hellish at LaGuardia, though, thanks to the bomb cyclone tearing up the Northeast Coast. Per FlightAware data, some 700+ flights to and from LGA have been canceled so far today — and that number will grow through the evening. It’s clear why.
Via TPG contributor Jason Rabinowitz‘s ever-reliable Twitter account, things got especially hairy during the day, as shared by Florida-based consultant Troy Bernier. I’ll let the video speak for itself:
This particular hangar reportedly belongs to American Airlines, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s weeks before AA can put it to use again.
While many LGA delays leave travelers scratching their heads, there’s no question that cancellations were more than justified during today’s storm.
For more on Friday’s cancellations, see More Than 2,300 Flights Cancelled Already Friday as Bomb Cyclone Wreaks Havoc.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees