This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 3/3/18: AA reached out to clarify that this particular hangar is used to store service equipment and parts, so no aircraft were directly impacted. Additionally, the roof remains functional, so it sounds like Friday’s storm damage is mostly cosmetic in nature.
Anyone who’s flown through New York City’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) during inclement weather knows that even the lightest rain shower can lead to significant delays.
Friday was especially hellish at LaGuardia, though, thanks to the bomb cyclone tearing up the Northeast Coast. Per FlightAware data, some 700+ flights to and from LGA have been canceled so far today — and that number will grow through the evening. It’s clear why.
Via TPG contributor Jason Rabinowitz‘s ever-reliable Twitter account, things got especially hairy during the day, as shared by Florida-based consultant Troy Bernier. I’ll let the video speak for itself:
This particular hangar reportedly belongs to American Airlines, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s weeks before AA can put it to use again.
While many LGA delays leave travelers scratching their heads, there’s no question that cancellations were more than justified during today’s storm.
For more on Friday’s cancellations, see More Than 2,300 Flights Cancelled Already Friday as Bomb Cyclone Wreaks Havoc.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards