Watch the Bomb Cyclone Blow the Roof off a LaGuardia Airport Hangar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 3/3/18: AA reached out to clarify that this particular hangar is used to store service equipment and parts, so no aircraft were directly impacted. Additionally, the roof remains functional, so it sounds like Friday’s storm damage is mostly cosmetic in nature.
Anyone who’s flown through New York City’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) during inclement weather knows that even the lightest rain shower can lead to significant delays.
Friday was especially hellish at LaGuardia, though, thanks to the bomb cyclone tearing up the Northeast Coast. Per FlightAware data, some 700+ flights to and from LGA have been canceled so far today — and that number will grow through the evening. It’s clear why.
Via TPG contributor Jason Rabinowitz‘s ever-reliable Twitter account, things got especially hairy during the day, as shared by Florida-based consultant Troy Bernier. I’ll let the video speak for itself:
This particular hangar reportedly belongs to American Airlines, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s weeks before AA can put it to use again.
While many LGA delays leave travelers scratching their heads, there’s no question that cancellations were more than justified during today’s storm.
For more on Friday’s cancellations, see More Than 2,300 Flights Cancelled Already Friday as Bomb Cyclone Wreaks Havoc.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.