Oakland Airport now selling COVID-19 tests in vending machines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Getting a COVID-19 test before traveling has proved to be a hassle, but one airport is betting that by offering COVID-19 tests in vending machines, it can help passengers looking for a convenient post-travel testing option.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Oakland International Airport (OAK) says it’s the first U.S. airport to offer vending machine COVID-19 tests and uses contactless kiosks located in both airport terminals. The test kits, which range between $130 and $150, were designed by Wellness 4 Humanity, while the vending machines were produced by Swyft.
“As one of the first airports to offer on-site rapid COVID testing, we are now providing even more testing options for travelers,” said Bryant L. Francis, Port of Oakland aviation director, said in a statement. “We still urge travelers to make sure they are current on any quarantines and regulations at their destinations.”
Unfortunately, if you’re heading somewhere that requires results upon arrival, this option won’t work for you as results take 24-48 hours to process. Additionally, for destinations such as Hawaii, it’s important to know what kind of test a destination requires — as the state only accepts PCR tests from a specific list of testing providers.
As we’ve reported in the past, finding a reliable place to get a PCR COVID-19 test for travel with quick results is tough. In some parts of the country, it could still border on impossible. However, a growing number of U.S. airports now offer COVID-19 testing to all passengers or travelers on specific flights or heading to specific destinations.
XpresCheck is currently open to passengers in the New York City area at Newark-EWR and New York-JFK, as well as Boston (BOS), Denver (DEN) and Arizona’s Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX). PCR tests are available by appointment or potentially via walk-up; costs vary. Many locations also provide rapid tests, but the Denver location is after security and open to ticket-holders.
Getting a negative COVID-19 test is likely to be a staple of pandemic (and even post-pandemic) travel — whether you’re coming or going.
All international arrivals into the U.S. are now required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test. The Biden administration is also “actively looking” at mandating negative tests for domestic travel.
Featured photo by Jack Guez/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees