Update: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck website now accepts New Yorkers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: the enrollment website is once again accepting applications for New Yorkers
New Yorkers, rejoice: Your Global Entry privileges are back. And you can once again apply for membership.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced Thursday that the agency would allow New York state residents to resume enrollment in Trusted Traveler programs including Global Entry, SENTRI, NEXUS, FAST and TSA PreCheck. All of these memberships allow verified travelers to pass through expedited security screenings at U.S. borders.
As of July 26, you visit the Global Entry enrollment website and apply as a New Yorker. TPG staffers confirmed that the applications are once again processing.
DHS suspended New York’s Trusted Traveler program eligibility back in February in response to a state law that provides driver’s licenses for undocumented immigrants. The federal agency objected to a “sanctuary” clause in the law that shields license records, including home address and contact information, from immigration authorities, who rely on the data for deportations and other actions. In turn, the state of New York threatened to file a lawsuit challenging the agency’s decision.
When New York’s ban went into effect in February, the DHS acting secretary stated that the reason for terminating New York’s access to Trusted Traveler programs was because the sealed records prevented the federal government from conducting adequate background checks on program applicants. The agency reversed its decision after New York leaders allowed Trusted Traveler programs to access driver’s license records for the purpose of screening applicants.
“I am glad that this issue has finally been resolved for all New Yorkers,” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in response to the DHS announcement.
Unfortunately, the good news doesn’t mean you can run out and renew your membership right this minute. Though you can submit an application, you won’t be able to get an in-person interview just yet. This past week, DHS separately announced that all Trusted Traveler enrollment centers would remain closed until Sept. 8, citing continued COVID-19 concerns.
Additional reporting by Zach Griff
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.