Next Celebrity Cruises ship will be its biggest ever
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Celebrity Cruises is going bigger with its next vessel.
The Miami-based line on April 28 revealed that its soon-to-debut Celebrity Beyond would be a stretched version of its recently unveiled Edge Class ships, Celebrity Apex and Celebrity Edge — the current size leaders in the Celebrity fleet.
Specifically, the third vessel in the Edge Class series will be 20 meters longer than its two sister ships, and a deck taller, too, the chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group, Richard Fain, told cruise writers on Wednesday during a conference call on Zoom.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter
The extra length and height of Celebrity Beyond will allow for new and bigger venues, Fain and other executives on the conference call said.
Fain said the extra space would particularly contribute to a feeling of spaciousness in an expanded “resort-within-a-resort” area for suite passengers called The Retreat. Among the highlights of the area will be a new two-story sundeck with hot tubs, lounge chairs and private cabanas that will be open exclusively to passengers staying in suites.
“When people think about a stretch, they think about making the ship longer,” Fain said. “But a lot of what we were focused on … was lifting (the spaces) up, particularly in the suite section, to give … more feeling of openness and more feeling of height and spaciousness.”
During the hour-long conference call, Fain and several other Royal Caribbean Group and Celebrity Cruises executives as well as outside designers involved with the plans offered details of what would be different on Celebrity Beyond as compared to Celebrity Apex and Celebrity Edge.
Among key differences they cited was a greatly expanded Sunset Bar at the back of the vessel that would sprawl over multiple levels and have a new, Morocco-inspired design created by celebrity interior designer Nate Berkus (co-star of TLC’s “Nate & Jeremiah by Design”).
The Sunset Bar on Celebrity Beyond will be nearly twice as big as the Sunset Bar areas on the previous Edge Class ships and feature more conversation niches and covered enclaves.
The plant-filled Rooftop Garden area found on Celebrity Apex and Celebrity Edge also has been redesigned with increased seating, new private nooks and two new floating pools cantilevered over the side of the ship.
Designed for lounging, dining (it’s home to an outdoor grill), live music and movie-watching, the Rooftop Garden on Celebrity Beyond will be about 20% larger than the Rooftop Gardens on Celebrity Apex and Celebrity Edge.
Another area that will be bigger on Celebrity Beyond and feature some design changes is the three-deck-high Grand Plaza. The ship’s main pool area, known as the Resort Deck, also is getting some updates.
Celebrity Beyond also will be the first cruise ship with a restaurant created by Daniel Boulud, the famed New York chef. To be called Le Voyage, the 50-seat, upscale eatery will have a menu inspired by the idea of travel, said the France-born Boulud, who also attended the Zoom call.
“As a young chef I always dreamed to travel, and Le Voyage means traveling all over the world, and taking a food journey,” Boulud said. “The (dishes) will not be always targeting to a city or place but more to a cuisine, and to its expression through the tradition of that cuisine.”
Celebrity Beyond also will have 179 more cabins than its sister vessels, which each have 1,467 cabins. That’s about a 12% increase.
As a result, Celebrity Beyond will hold 3,260 passengers at double occupancy. That’s up from a 2,910 passenger capacity at double occupancy for Celebrity Apex and a 2,918 passenger capacity at double occupancy for Celebrity Edge.
Several of the new or expanded areas of the ship including The Retreat, the Rooftop Garden and the Resort Deck feature designs created by noted British designer Kelly Hoppen. Noted architect Tom Wright (creator of Dubai’s Burj Al Arab Hotel) and French design firm Jouin Manku (creators of the Jules Verne restaurant in the Eiffel Tower) also had a hand in many of the spaces.
During the conference call, Celebrity CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo said Celebrity Beyond would debut in almost exactly a year, on April 27, 2022. Its maiden voyage will be a 10-night Western Europe sailing from Southampton in the U.K., she said.
After its first sailing, Celebrity Beyond will move to the Mediterranean for a series of voyages that include nine-night trips to ports in Italy and France, and 10-night trips to the Greek Islands. In October 2022, the vessel will reposition to Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades for winter sailings to the Caribbean.
Celebrity Beyond currently is under construction at the giant Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard in St. Nazaire, France. The shipyard also built Celebrity Apex and Celebrity Edge and is in the midst of building a Royal Caribbean ship that will be the biggest cruise vessel ever.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image courtesy of Celebrity Cruises.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.