NetJets hopes to add 20 supersonic planes to private jet fleet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While plenty of private jet flyers are fortunate enough to travel the world in their own planes, that certainly isn’t the case for everyone. Instead, many high-flyers either charter planes on demand or participate in fractional ownership programs like NetJets, making it possible to experience the convenience of private jet travel without the astronomical cost.
NetJets’ fleet could soon be getting a big upgrade, too. The company just signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Aerion, a U.S. company working to develop supersonic business jets. NetJets could purchase as many as 20 Aerion AS2 aircraft, which are expected to begin rolling down the company’s Melbourne, Florida, assembly line beginning in 2023.
While skeptics may view the financial implications of COVID-19 as a setback for commercial supersonic travel, led by companies like Boom, the private jet industry has the potential to rebound more quickly.
Throughout the pandemic, some former airline flyers have shifted their focus to private jets, hoping to minimize their exposure to other people and avoid pandemic-related disruptions. Once global travel becomes possible again, I wouldn’t be surprised to see demand for private jet travel continue to grow among travelers with the means to pull it off.
In this case, the bigger unknown is whether or not Aerion can deliver on its 2023 production-line promise — and, once the aircraft is ready to enter NetJets’ fleet, whether enough customers can cough up the funds required for private supersonic travel.
Featured rendering courtesy of Aerion.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees