This startup is building the world’s next supersonic jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you think of supersonic jet travel, visions of hurtling through the sky at thousands of miles an hour may seem farfetched.
But a start-up, Boom Technologies, hopes to reimagine supersonic jet travel. The company recently unveiled its fully-functional prototype plane. According to Boom, XB-1 is nearly 71 feet in length and, at supersonic speed, the aircraft exterior can reach temperatures up to 260°F. XB-1’s fuselage can withstand temperatures exceeding 300°F. Boom says it hopes to begin flight testing in 2021.
Last month we reported that Boom Supersonic’s Overture jet could one day fly the president of the United States. The company landed an Air Force contract, intended to help fund “explorations” of a special version of the Overture supersonic plane.
Boom says the Overture jets can fly between Paris and Montreal in under four hours and Los Angeles and Sydney in just eight hours and 30 minutes. For context, a nonstop flight between LAX and Sydney on American Airlines’ Boeing 777 or Delta’s Airbus A350 clocks in at 15 hours.
The Air Force has also issued contracts with other companies to research a supersonic government passenger jet, including California-based Exosonic.
This isn’t the world’s first experience with a supersonic jet.
Concorde supersonic transport was a technological tour-de-force that operated in airline service from 1976 to 2003. 100 passengers were pampered during Air France and British Airways flights at twice the speed of sound, crossing the Atlantic in half the time of subsonic jetliners like the Boeing 747.
British Airways operated Concorde on flights BA 001 and BA 002 to and from New York’s JFK, and also operated during the winter to Barbados (BGI).
BA also operated scheduled services to Washington and Bahrain three times per week, Miami with a stopover in Washington, and to Toronto during the summer.
Air France also operated Concorde, dubbed the “White Bird” on daily flights between Paris (CDG) and JFK. The Paris flight departed at 10:30 am local time, arriving in New York at 8:25 am.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees