Commercial Supersonic Airliner Raises $100 Million in Funding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boom Supersonic, a Colorado-based aviation company, announced on Jan. 4 that it has raised $100 million in capital during a Series B investment round. The new funding will allow the company to continue its work on “Overture,” the company’s supersonic airliner.
Commercial aviation has been without a supersonic service since the final flight of the Concord in 2003. Boom is looking to return supersonic travel to the masses. Overture will have 55 seats and travel at mach 2.2, which is slightly faster than the Concord but more than twice the speed of today’s commercial planes.
According to Boom, airlines would be able to operate the aircraft charging roughly what business class seats cost today. Flight times between New York and London would take just over three hours, the company says, allowing for transatlantic day trips.
The announcement marks the latest investment in the company. Japan Airlines invested in Boom in 2017, and more recently the company saw an investment by Ctrip.
Boom is currently building a one-third scale working prototype that they say should fly later this year. The company is aiming for passenger service to begin in the mid 2020s. Boom already has 30 orders for Overture on its books. Both Virgin Group and Japan Airlines have preorders with Boom.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees