This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boom Supersonic, a Colorado-based aviation company, announced on Jan. 4 that it has raised $100 million in capital during a Series B investment round. The new funding will allow the company to continue its work on “Overture,” the company’s supersonic airliner.
Commercial aviation has been without a supersonic service since the final flight of the Concord in 2003. Boom is looking to return supersonic travel to the masses. Overture will have 55 seats and travel at mach 2.2, which is slightly faster than the Concord but more than twice the speed of today’s commercial planes.
According to Boom, airlines would be able to operate the aircraft charging roughly what business class seats cost today. Flight times between New York and London would take just over three hours, the company says, allowing for transatlantic day trips.
Boom is currently building a one-third scale working prototype that they say should fly later this year. The company is aiming for passenger service to begin in the mid 2020s. Boom already has 30 orders for Overture on its books. Both Virgin Group and Japan Airlines have preorders with Boom.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees