Supersonic Jet Company Boom Technology Just Got a Big New Investor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aviation startup Boom Technology is developing a supersonic passenger plane that will seat 45 to 55 passengers. The Denver-based aircraft company gained a new investor on Wednesday: Chinese travel conglomerate Ctrip.
The new investor is a major step toward Boom’s goal of having the supersonic jet on the market by 2023. Industry insiders have compared the jet to the now-defunct Concorde, which was known for completing its iconic transatlantic route in less than half the time of traditional aircraft.
Boom Technology’s plane would offer a similar service on transpacific routes to Asia. “San Francisco to Shanghai, for example, could shrink from 11 hours to 6 — and a typical round-trip itinerary can be accomplished two whole days faster,” Boom CEO Blake Scholl said in a press release. The plans for the aircraft show it reaching speeds up to Mach 2.2 (1,451 miles/hour), which is about twice as fast as the average passenger jet.
It is not clear exactly how much Ctrip is investing in the Boom. The company had raised $47.3 million as of December 2017, after a $10 million investment from Japan Airlines, according to numbers from funding tracker site Crunchbase.
“All that I can say from my end is that Boom has raised (so far) over US$85 million, including seed investment, venture capital, and investments from strategic partners,” Ctrip Senior International PR Manager Wei Yuan Min told Jing Travel. “At Ctrip, we invest in the future to ensure that our users are able to have access to futuristic experiences.”
It is possible that Ctrip invested the difference between the $47.3 million Boom raised in its December funding round and the $85 million it says it has now. An investment of about $40 million would not be untypical for Ctrip. In 2016, it executed a $1.74 billion acquisition of Scottish travel fare metasearch engine Skyscanner.
According to Ctrip Co-founder and Executive Chairman James Liang: “As a leading innovator in the commercial aviation industry, Boom will be positioned to provide exciting premium global flight options for Ctrip users and Ctrip is making a strategic investment in the next generation of travel.”
Featured image courtesy Boom Technology.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees