Boom Supersonic Comes One Step Closer to Building World’s Fastest Passenger Plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boom Supersonic, the company that hopes to build the world’s fastest passenger aircraft, has just secured $33 million in its Series A round — a hefty sum that will go toward building a 1/3-scale prototype of the supersonic jet that will eventually be sold to airlines.
The company hopes to dramatically cut down on travel times — it promises that the final product will be able to make the transatlantic flight between New York and London in only three hours and 15 minutes, which is less than half the time of a typical flight between the two cities.
The funding will support the build-out of the XB-1 Supersonic Demonstrator (known as the “Baby Boom”), which will be used to demonstrate that the jet is safe for flight. Once successful flights have been completed, the company will begin constructing full-size aircraft.
The Baby Boom is set to fly its first flight next year with passenger flights on full-size Boom aircraft scheduled to take take off in the 2020s. While this technology has been around since the 1960s (the Concorde was a supersonic jet that flew from the 1970s until 2003), the aircraft ultimately failed due to a number of reasons including the high price of a ticket, the cost of fueling the aircraft and even the sonic boom it created. Thanks to today’s technology and further innovation from Boom, you could break the sound barrier for the cost of a typical business-class ticket.
Featured image courtesy of Boom Supersonic’s Facebook page.
H/T: Tech Crunch
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees