Boom Supersonic Comes One Step Closer to Building World’s Fastest Passenger Plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boom Supersonic, the company that hopes to build the world’s fastest passenger aircraft, has just secured $33 million in its Series A round — a hefty sum that will go toward building a 1/3-scale prototype of the supersonic jet that will eventually be sold to airlines.
The company hopes to dramatically cut down on travel times — it promises that the final product will be able to make the transatlantic flight between New York and London in only three hours and 15 minutes, which is less than half the time of a typical flight between the two cities.
The funding will support the build-out of the XB-1 Supersonic Demonstrator (known as the “Baby Boom”), which will be used to demonstrate that the jet is safe for flight. Once successful flights have been completed, the company will begin constructing full-size aircraft.
The Baby Boom is set to fly its first flight next year with passenger flights on full-size Boom aircraft scheduled to take take off in the 2020s. While this technology has been around since the 1960s (the Concorde was a supersonic jet that flew from the 1970s until 2003), the aircraft ultimately failed due to a number of reasons including the high price of a ticket, the cost of fueling the aircraft and even the sonic boom it created. Thanks to today’s technology and further innovation from Boom, you could break the sound barrier for the cost of a typical business-class ticket.
Featured image courtesy of Boom Supersonic’s Facebook page.
H/T: Tech Crunch
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.