This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Few commercial aircraft captured people’s attention like the Concorde. Introduced in the 1970s, the planes flew several routes around the world, most notably from New York (JFK) to London Heathrow (LHR) and to Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG). They were incredibly fast — traveling at twice the speed of sound, passengers could complete a transatlantic trip in an average time of just 3.5 hours. Unfortunately, both British Airways and Air France decided to retire the aircraft in 2003 after a high-profile crash a few years earlier, along with the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York and the inability to profit on the existing routes.
This week’s crazy aviation video was shot in 2003, the last year the Concorde flew commercial routes. The video was captured at dusk, the perfect time to catch a glimpse of the aircraft’s brightly glowing afterburners of turbojet engines, which propelled the aircraft to supersonic speeds. While today’s aircraft have made great leaps in terms of efficiency and comfort, none have come close to the Concorde in speed, or noise — they were loud as hell.
The Points Guy Assessment:
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great pick for the beginner and the frequent traveler. The CSP has superb travel benefits, double points on certain purchases, and a 50,000 point sign up bonus. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year so this puts it as one of the less expensive cards, while still allowing you to earn one of the most valuable point currencies.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards