Boom Supersonic Jets With Lie-Flat Seats to Debut by 2023
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the Paris Air Show today, Boom Supersonic unveiled the complete, refined design of its XB-1 Supersonic Demonstrator, which is set to begin flying next year. Plus, Boom added that the aircraft is going to offer customers a first-class product with lie-flat seats. And with the model in place, the prospect of supersonic travel with Boom is now even closer to a reality, as the company announced that it’s received 76 orders from five airlines.
Earlier this year, the company secured $33 million to go toward building its prototype. And at the Paris Air Show, Boom released photos of what it’ll look like — both its exterior and interior. Perhaps the biggest news from the Paris Air Show is that the XB-1 will feature a first-class product with full, lie-flat seats.
Inside the jet will also be business-class seats, which aren’t lie-flat. When TPG contributor Jason Steele visited Boom, he found that the business-class product will be similar to what passengers can find in domestic first-class cabins.
Airlines will have the option of ordering one of two configurations: 45 seats in a two-class configuration (30 first-class seats and 15 business-class seats) or 55 seats in a one-class configuration (all business class). The jet will cost customers $200 million.
The XB-1 design has been optimized since the design was originally unveiled last year. The updated design meets performance and safety standards, including a third inlet located in the tail. The new design also provides greater propulsion stability.
As of now, Virgin is the only known customer, and the other four will be announced at special events. Note that the unveiling today was for the Demonstrator aircraft, not the passenger jet. On board the passenger jet, travelers can expect two crew, up to four flight attendants and two lavatories.
According to a press release, the first flight of the XB-1 Demonstrator will take place in 2018, and subsonic flight testing will be conducted near Denver. Supersonic Boom test flights will take place near Edwards Air Force Base in Southern California. Boom expects the passenger jet to take to the skies and begin operations by 2023.
This is exciting news for travelers, as Boom will get you to your destination far quicker without a steep price premium. A round-trip business-class ticket from London to New York is estimated at $5,000 — pretty competitive by today’s standards. As for flight time, Boom says the XB-1 will be able to fly between the two cities in three hours and 15 minutes — less than half the typical flight time for the aircraft we have today. It’ll be interesting in the coming weeks or months to see who Boom’s other customers are.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.