Boom Supersonic Jets With Lie-Flat Seats to Debut by 2023
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the Paris Air Show today, Boom Supersonic unveiled the complete, refined design of its XB-1 Supersonic Demonstrator, which is set to begin flying next year. Plus, Boom added that the aircraft is going to offer customers a first-class product with lie-flat seats. And with the model in place, the prospect of supersonic travel with Boom is now even closer to a reality, as the company announced that it’s received 76 orders from five airlines.
Earlier this year, the company secured $33 million to go toward building its prototype. And at the Paris Air Show, Boom released photos of what it’ll look like — both its exterior and interior. Perhaps the biggest news from the Paris Air Show is that the XB-1 will feature a first-class product with full, lie-flat seats.
Inside the jet will also be business-class seats, which aren’t lie-flat. When TPG contributor Jason Steele visited Boom, he found that the business-class product will be similar to what passengers can find in domestic first-class cabins.
Airlines will have the option of ordering one of two configurations: 45 seats in a two-class configuration (30 first-class seats and 15 business-class seats) or 55 seats in a one-class configuration (all business class). The jet will cost customers $200 million.
The XB-1 design has been optimized since the design was originally unveiled last year. The updated design meets performance and safety standards, including a third inlet located in the tail. The new design also provides greater propulsion stability.
As of now, Virgin is the only known customer, and the other four will be announced at special events. Note that the unveiling today was for the Demonstrator aircraft, not the passenger jet. On board the passenger jet, travelers can expect two crew, up to four flight attendants and two lavatories.
According to a press release, the first flight of the XB-1 Demonstrator will take place in 2018, and subsonic flight testing will be conducted near Denver. Supersonic Boom test flights will take place near Edwards Air Force Base in Southern California. Boom expects the passenger jet to take to the skies and begin operations by 2023.
This is exciting news for travelers, as Boom will get you to your destination far quicker without a steep price premium. A round-trip business-class ticket from London to New York is estimated at $5,000 — pretty competitive by today’s standards. As for flight time, Boom says the XB-1 will be able to fly between the two cities in three hours and 15 minutes — less than half the typical flight time for the aircraft we have today. It’ll be interesting in the coming weeks or months to see who Boom’s other customers are.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees