Another major cruise brand unveils plans to restart US departures
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s third-biggest cruise brand late Monday said it would restart departures out of PortMiami on Aug. 2 with a single ship, the 4,500-passenger MSC Meraviglia.
The line said a second MSC Cruises vessel, the 3,502-passenger MSC Divina, would resume sailings out of Port Canaveral, Florida, on Sept. 16.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
The announcement came in the wake of the CDC approving MSC Cruises to conduct a simulated “test cruise” out of Miami with MSC Meraviglia on July 17 — a precursor to resuming sailings with paying passengers.
“After what has been a challenging period, we’re thrilled to say it’s finally time to cruise again,” MSC Cruises CEO Gianni Onorato said in a statement accompanying the announcement. “We are excited to be officially announcing our restart this summer from the U.S., and Florida in particular, as excitement is building for vacationers to get back to traveling and plan a much-deserved getaway.”
MSC Cruises said MSC Meraviglia initially would operate three- and four-night sailings out of Miami to the Bahamas. It’ll switch to seven-night itineraries to the Bahamas and Caribbean on Sept. 18, the line said.
MSC Divina will operate three-, four- and seven-night cruises to the Bahamas and Caribbean.
MSC Cruises didn’t announce specifics of the itineraries but said they all would include a stop at the line’s new private island in the Bahamas, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve. More details are coming, the line said.
The sailings won’t be available for booking until June 16.
All of the sailings will be open to passengers both vaccinated and unvaccinated for COVID-19.
As part of its announcement, MSC Cruises said it was canceling several dozen summer sailings currently on the books for MSC Divina, MSC Meraviglia and a third ship, MSC Armonia, including:
- Departures on MSC Divina out of Port Canaveral from July 1 through Sept. 15.
- Departures on MSC Meraviglia out of Miami from July 1 through Sept. 17.
- Departures on MSC Armonia out of Miami from July 1 through Oct. 24.
MSC Cruises already has restarted sailings out of Italy with two ships and sailings out of the U.K. (for U.K. passengers only) with one ship. It plans to restart Mediterranean and Northern Europe sailings with seven more vessels by Aug. 1.
MSC Cruises is the world’s third-largest cruise line by passenger capacity. Its return to cruising in Europe and now the United States signals that the cruise industry is finally exiting lockdowns that were the result of the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image courtesy of MSC Cruises
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees