Fauci says masks on planes here to stay, tells Americans to be prudent on travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editors’ note: This post has been updated with a quote from Southwest.
Masks are here to stay. That’s the message from White House Chief Medical Officer Doctor Anthony Fauci.
Fauci – also director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases – told John Karl on ABC’s “This Week” that he did not see a time when masks were going away. He also suggested extra caution during travel and family gatherings.
The mask message came in response to a question about airline CEOs testifying on Capitol Hill last week who suggested that masks weren’t that vital.
Fauci said, “I think when you are dealing with a close space, even though the filtration is good, that you want to go that extra step.. you get a flight from Washington to San Francisco it’s a well over a five-hour flight. Even though you have a good filtrations system, I still believe that masks are a prudent thing to do and we should be doing it.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said last week, “I think the case is very strong that masks don’t add much, if anything, in the air cabin environment.”
Southwest later issued a statement saying, “Southwest Airlines continues to abide by the federal mask mandate for customers and employees both within the airport environment and onboard all Southwest aircraft.”
The next day, Kelly tested positive for COVID-19.
Related: CDC guidance on masks
The Biden Administration has extended a federal mask mandate through at least March 2022.
While he doesn’t see more lockdowns right now, Fauci is also advising Americans gathering with friends and family during the holidays to be cautious. “If you are vaccinated and boosted and are prudent when you travel, when you’re in an airport to be wearing a mask all the time, you have to be wearing a mask on a plane. Do not do things like go to gatherings where there are people who you do not know what their vaccination status is.”
He said the new omicron variant – now found in at least 43 states – is “really something to be reckoned with,” with cases doubling every two to three days, “It is really rapidly spreading literally throughout the world and certainly in our own country.”
In another interview on Friday on CNBC’s “Squawk Box,” Fauci did say family gatherings and travel were okay and low-risk as long as you are vaccinated and boosted (if eligible). “If you are vaccinated, your family is vaccinated, you have friends who are vaccinated — and hopefully also boosted — you can still enjoy a social gathering generally in a home,” Fauci said in the interview on Friday.
Featured image of “Masks Required” sign posted at the entrance to the Ferry Building in San Francisco on July 19, 2021, by David Paul Morris/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees