TPG’s 7 favorite face masks and where to buy them
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
Masks aren’t going away anytime soon.
Airlines and airports still require them while traveling, public transportation in many cities requires you to wear one while riding and many businesses require them for entry.
And now that the CDC is recommending the wearing of masks while indoors in high transmission areas, we’ll continue to see more places where masks will be a necessity for entry.
It’s important to find one that’s comfortable and appropriate for you. To help you narrow down the list, we’re highlighting a few of the products TPG staffers are using right now.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
If you ask The Points Guy himself, Brian Kelly, what brand of mask he loves, he’ll tell you about Kenny Flowers. These masks are made of soft, colorful fabrics, so they’re comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. They are non-medical grade masks you can easily machine-wash. Masks cost $10, while a mask and shirt combo is $89.
Several TPGers, including editor-at-large Zach Honig, prefer to wear a vented N95 mask paired with a surgical mask. These products provide top-of-the-line protection for both you and those around you.
Be aware that there are two types of N95 masks: vented and unvented. The unvented (medical grade) masks are the type health care workers regularly use — although they can also use a vented (non-medical grade) mask paired with a surgical mask over it.
When wearing a vented mask, you are not protecting those around you — just yourself. So, if you do buy a vented mask, be sure to also layer on a surgical mask to ensure both you and people nearby are protected from the potential spread of any pathogen.
What we love about Marine Layer masks is the fact that they’ve got adjustable fabric loops or ties, depending on the version you buy, instead of a one-size-fits-all elastic. This makes it super easy to customize the fit for anyone in your family. Made from soft fabric, these masks are comfortable and breathable, so you can wear them for extended periods when necessary. Spend $25 to buy three Adjustable Sport masks (with adjustable over-the-ear loops) or five Signature Tie masks (with fabric ties).
There’s a Sweaty Bands mask for just about everyone since the company makes some with elastic ear loops, adjustable ties and fabric loops. Teens gravitate to these masks but they’re available in various sizes ranging from youth to adult extra-large. Masks are made with a stretchy fabric that’s 88% polyester and 12% spandex. Prices vary, starting from $9.99 for a three-pack.
Disney is once again requiring masks indoors and throughout attractions. Luckily, Disney has a large selection of face masks featuring characters and patterns inspired by your favorite Disney movies and shows — from Star Wars to Marvel to Mickey Mouse himself.
Whether you have kids or just want to embrace your inner child, these masks are sure to put a smile on your face. You can order a four-pack for $19.99 on Disney’s website.
TPG travel editor Madison Blancaflor swears by her Johnny Was face masks, which come in patterned or embroidered packs of three or five. The masks are non-medical grade with a cotton lining, and they have a slot to add a filter for added protection.
You can get a pack of five embroidered or signature sateen masks for as low as $25.
And, finally, if you want to show your allegiance to the travel industry, pick a mask sporting an aircraft or beach scene. The Points Guy is selling these durable two-layer fabric masks, constructed from a blend of cotton and polyester, for $12 each. The masks feature adjustable elastic ear loops that customize the fit. And, there’s a nose clip that helps prevent your glasses from fogging up.
Additional reporting by Madison Blancaflor.
Featured image by EugeneEdge/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees