CDC updated mask recommendations for vaccinated people
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued updated masks guidance right before Labor Day, including recommending wearing a mask in crowded outdoor settings and for activities with close contact with others who are not fully vaccinated when in areas with high numbers of COVID-19 cases.
These recommendations, released on Sept. 1, were made as the delta variant continues to spike in cases around the world.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Those who have a condition or are taking medications that weaken their immune system may not be fully protected even if they are fully vaccinated, so CDC recommends they should continue to take all precautions — including wearing a well-fitted mask. Those who are fully vaccinated should also wear a mask in public, indoor spaces if in an area of substantial or high transmission.
Celebrate this #LaborDay safely. Get vaccinated against #COVID19. Everyone—even vaccinated people—in areas with a substantial or high level of community spread should #WearAMask indoors in public. Learn more: https://t.co/DmfPOAPMjW. pic.twitter.com/ajQfTeM0Gr
— CDC (@CDCgov) September 3, 2021
As the delta variant has surged in the U.S., the CDC has continually updated mask-wearing guidance — including reversing its May recommendation that vaccinated persons no longer needed masks indoors, at the time citing scientific evidence that suggested vaccinated people remain less likely to become infected with or transmit the virus and that the vaccines had provided protection against the variants thus far (pre the emersion of the delta variant strain in the U.S.).
If you’ve had close contact with someone who has COVID-19, you should get tested three to five days after your exposure, even if you don’t have symptoms. You should also wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until your test result is negative. You should isolate for 10 days if your test result is positive.
Only eight states and the District of Columbia are requiring masks in some or all situations for vaccinated and unvaccinated people, six states require masks in some or all situations for unvaccinated people and the remaining 36 states have no mask mandate, according to NBC News’ Mask Tracker.
Cities including Boston, Chicago; El Paso, Texas; Hartford, Connecticut; Iowa City, Iowa; Kansas City, Missouri; Philadelphia; and Raleigh, North Carolina, have reimplemented mask mandates. Cities in Texas have battled Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order banning mask mandates (this despite the governor catching a breakthrough case of COVID-19).
CDC notes that 53% of the U.S. population is fully vaccinated as of Sept. 6, 2021.
Additional reporting by Benét Wilson.
Featured image by ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees