This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Already en route to becoming the world’s largest airport, London Heathrow Airport (LHR) was ranked the most internationally connected airport in the world, according to OAG’s 2018 Megahubs Index for the second year in a row.
According to the OAG blog, the index is “calculated as the ratio of all possible scheduled international connections that could be made by passengers in a six-hour window to the number of destinations served by the airport.” This index number, which for Heathrow is 333, determines that it has the most traffic and variety in locations over any other airport. So, if you’re planning on doing some international travel to Europe, the likelihood that you’ll have a layover at Heathrow is pretty high.
Heathrow’s busiest day from the past year saw more than 66,000 possible international connections between arriving and departing flights. 52% of flights at the airport are operated by British Airways, with the most revenue generated off of the route going to and from John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in New York. John Grant, senior analyst at OAG, attributes Heathrow’s high numbers to the airport’s proximity to key Europe, Middle Eastern and African markets and North America. A characteristic that also correlated with a majority of the top 50 “Megahubs” was having a singular airline operate over 40% (or more) of its flights.
Following Heathrow in the rankings is O’Hare Chicago (ORD), with a CI (connectivity index) of 306 — a jump in the rankings from last year’s position.
To get a larger sense of OAG’s analytics, check out the Megahubs International Index.
Featured Image via Shutterstock
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees