London Heathrow Claims Top Spot for Most Connected Airport Worldwide
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Already en route to becoming the world’s largest airport, London Heathrow Airport (LHR) was ranked the most internationally connected airport in the world, according to OAG’s 2018 Megahubs Index for the second year in a row.
According to the OAG blog, the index is “calculated as the ratio of all possible scheduled international connections that could be made by passengers in a six-hour window to the number of destinations served by the airport.” This index number, which for Heathrow is 333, determines that it has the most traffic and variety in locations over any other airport. So, if you’re planning on doing some international travel to Europe, the likelihood that you’ll have a layover at Heathrow is pretty high.
Heathrow’s busiest day from the past year saw more than 66,000 possible international connections between arriving and departing flights. 52% of flights at the airport are operated by British Airways, with the most revenue generated off of the route going to and from John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in New York. John Grant, senior analyst at OAG, attributes Heathrow’s high numbers to the airport’s proximity to key Europe, Middle Eastern and African markets and North America. A characteristic that also correlated with a majority of the top 50 “Megahubs” was having a singular airline operate over 40% (or more) of its flights.
Following Heathrow in the rankings is O’Hare Chicago (ORD), with a CI (connectivity index) of 306 — a jump in the rankings from last year’s position.
To get a larger sense of OAG’s analytics, check out the Megahubs International Index.
Featured Image via Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.