This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the best airline promotions of 2019 for families is Frontier Airline’s “Kids Fly Free” offer. With this deal, every child age 14 and under can fly for free (yes, free!) with a paid adult ticket on eligible Frontier flights.
Of course, there are a few caveats. The promotion is only valid on certain days of the week (for the most part, Tuesdays and Wednesdays). You also must have a Frontier Discount Den membership, which costs just $59.99 for the year. Only one member of your family has to have the membership, which also gets you access to lower-priced Frontier flights and early access to schedule extensions.
When this Kids Fly Free promotion was initially launched, Frontier’s booking window — and therefore the promotion — was only open until mid-August. Fortunately, Frontier just extended its reservation schedule for flights through Nov. 13, 2019, and the “Kids Fly Free” dates through Nov. 19.
Here are the current Frontier Kids Fly Free promotion dates:
- April 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30
- May 1, 4, 7, 8, 11, 14, 15, 18, 21, 22, 29
- June 1, 4, 5, 8, 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26
- July 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30
- Aug. 5, 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27, 28
- Sept. 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25
- Oct. 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30
- Nov. 5, 6, 12, 13, 19
Some flight prices aren’t as low as I would like to see at this juncture for fall travel (so consider holding off booking if the price seems high). But on long weekend holidays, such as Columbus Day, Veterans Day, or fall break, Frontier prices are typically the lowest when schedules are first released.
Also note that only those with Discount Den membership can book any flights on the newly extended schedule at this time (with or without the promotion). Everyone else will get access to the new dates within the next few weeks.
Booking Your Child’s Free Frontier Flight
To book your child’s free Frontier flight with a Discount Den membership, log in to your Frontier account and search for your desired route, including the number of adults and children that will be on the reservation. You’ll notice that right now only Discount Den pricing appears, since non-Discount Den members cannot book past Aug. 11. Your flight options will appear and you’ll see the “Kids Fly Free” icon below the flight price on eligible dates. (Note: If you do not yet have a Discount Den membership, continue with your flight selection and a pop-up window will appear giving you the option to purchase the membership.)
You’ll then be prompted to customize your fare (including any bundle options) and select your seats (this costs extra). Your reservation’s final pricing will be displayed after you’ve selected any add-ons.
For this sample reservation above, you’ll notice that the final price is just $138 for two adults and two children. With a $69 fare per passenger, this shows that you truly are only paying for the two adult tickets and getting two child fares for free. There are absolutely no hidden taxes and fees that go along with the child’s ticket — free really is free.
Now that Frontier has extended its booking window, your kids can can fly free this fall at least through Nov. 19. Just remember, when price comparing a Frontier itinerary with another airline, to take into account all extra charges such as checked bags, full-size carry-on bags and seat assignments. Even though you will not actually have to pay for your child’s plane ticket, you will still have to pay these add-on fees for every passenger in your party if you choose to add them.
Here are some additional tips to help you weight the pros and cons of ultra low-cost flying:
Featured image by JT Genter
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees