Frontier’s Kids Fly Free Deal Extended Through March 11, 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Frontier Airlines’ “Kids Fly Free” offer has been a huge hit over the past few months. With this promotion, children ages 14 and under can fly for free with a paid adult ticket on eligible Frontier flights. And, when Frontier says free, it truly is free — no extra taxes or fees tacked on. Mommy Points herself even took advantage of this deal recently. She saved well over $100 — even after the Discount Den membership purchase (which you need in order to take advantage of this deal) factored in.
But there is one massive change that was just released with this promotion — only round-trip flights are eligible for the deal. These means those looking to book a one-way flight on Frontier are out of luck. With that being said, both the departure and return flight do not have to fall on an eligible date. You can still take advantage of the promotion on just one of the flights as long as you are booked as a round-trip itinerary.
Up until now, you could only book Frontier flights through mid-November 2019, but the airline just extended its calendar into 2020 for Discount Den members only. This means, you can go ahead and book your Thanksgiving, Christmas and even some spring break flights. It also means the Kids Fly Free promotion has also been extended through March 11, 2020.
Although the promotion really is as good as it seems (despite the new round-trip stipulation), there are some other restrictions of which you need to be aware. Unlike the Southwest Companion Pass, where you can fly BOGO 365 days a year on any scheduled flight, dates and routes are more limited with Frontier. For most of the year, flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays are eligible as well as Thursdays and Saturdays during late summer and into the fall. Additionally, only US domestic flights apply and there is still a long list of excluded routes. You also must book 14 days in advance to take advantage of the promotion.
On the bright side, any family is eligible to take advantage of this promotion and it does not have to be “earned” like the Southwest Companion Pass. Just one family member needs to purchase the Frontier Discount Den membership, which costs $59.99 for the year. The membership not only gets you access to the Kids Fly Free promotion, but also to lower-priced Frontier flights and early accessibility to schedule extensions like we are seeing today. Note: Those without a Discount Den membership will get access to the new dates within the next few weeks.
Booking Your Child’s Free Frontier Flight
To book your child’s free Frontier flight with a Discount Den membership, log in to your Frontier account and search for your desired route. Make sure to include the number of adults and children that will be on the reservation. You’ll notice that right now only Discount Den pricing appears, since non-Discount Den members cannot book past Nov. 13. Your flight options will appear and you’ll see the “Kids Fly Free” icon below the flight price on eligible dates. (Note: If you do not yet have a Discount Den membership, continue with your flight selection and a pop-up window will appear giving you the option to purchase the membership.)
You’ll then be prompted to customize your fare (including any bundle options) and select your seats (this costs extra). Your reservation’s final pricing will display after you’ve selected any add-ons.
For this sample reservation above, the final price for two passengers (one adult and one child) is just $77.96 round-trip. That is an absolute steal for two passengers to fly from Providence to Orlando during the winter months.
Now that Frontier has extended its booking window, your kids can fly free the rest of the fall and throughout most of the winter. Of course, there are now more restrictions in place than we’ve seen in the past but if you can make this promotion work for you, it is well worth it. Just remember though, when comparing a Frontier itinerary with another airline, take into account all the extra charges, such as checked bags, full-size carry-on bags and seat assignments. Even though you will not actually have to pay for your child’s plane ticket, you will still have to pay these add-on fees for every passenger in your party if you choose to add them.
Here are some additional tips to help you weigh the pros and cons of ultra low-cost flying:
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees