Tourists are flocking to the ‘Joker’ staircase in the Bronx
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another tourist attraction in New York City.
Tourists and locals alike are coming out in droves to take pictures on a staircase in the Bronx, inspired by a scene in the recently-released “Joker” film. Many of them arrive decked-out in costume, ready to reenact Joaquin Phoenix’s iconic scene dancing down the steps. The stairs themselves are located between two buildings on Shakespeare Avenue.
Cathyrine Spencer, a resident of the surrounding area, told NBC New York, “We live in the neighborhood, it’s taking up all of our time, we’re all being inconvenienced. Every day when I come down the stairs, I have to go through a barrage of people.”
On Twitter, a local politician urged visitors to at least visit the local shops and restaurants in the Bronx, saying, “Our borough has more to offer than just stairs, I promise.”
If you’re gonna visit the Bronx to take a picture of the Joker stairs, please be respectful to residents — and stick around to check out our shops and restaurants! Our borough has more to offer than just stairs, I promise. https://t.co/2j6zUG6tzF
— Eric Dinowitz (@EricDinowitz) October 27, 2019
This unassuming staircase isn’t the only weird tourist attraction we’ve seen pop up overnight. This summer, people traveled to a chemical dump in Siberia to take photos for Instagram. They’ve also converged at a toxic pit in Montana and paid $30 to sit in boxes the size of bathroom stalls at LaGuardia (LGA).
While taking photos on a staircase pales in comparison to, say, posing in front of a manmade lake filled with waste from a power plant, tourists around the world seem increasingly drawn to the mundane and even poisonous photo opportunities.
If you’re visiting New York City soon but are going to pass on a trip to the stairs, there are — of course — plenty of other things that will amuse and entertain you in the Big Apple. We put together a guide of our favorite New York City spots where you can avoid the tourists, as well as some of our favorite points hotels. That way, you can spend all that extra money on more important things, like pizza and bagels.
Please, whatever you do, though, don’t get scammed at the Statue of Liberty.
Featured image courtesy of Don Emmert/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees