People Are Traveling to a Chemical Dump in Siberia to Take Pictures for Instagram
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
That on its own wouldn’t be anything out of the ordinary, except for the fact that the “beach” is actually a “lake,” and more specifically, is a man-made waste dump for power plant Heating and Electrical Station Number 5. Oh, and that out-of-this-world blue color? It’s from calcium salts and metal oxides.
But that hasn’t stopped people from trekking to the city of Novosibirsk — in fact, people have started calling it the “Maldives of Novosibirsk.” But you won’t find any overwater villas here, just an industrial city with over 1.6 million people trying to grapple with newfound social media fame.
View this post on Instagram
Siberian Generating Company, the operator of the power plant, issued a statement to clarify some concerns. While “the radiation level is normal” and “not poisonous,” they said: “We strongly ask that while hunting for selfies you don’t fall in the ash dump!”
This isn’t the only weird tourism site to make headlines this week. Ukraine announced that Chernobyl will become an official tourist attraction, adding that “Chernobyl is a unique place on the planet where nature revives after a global man-made disaster, where there is a real ‘ghost town’. We have to show this place to the world: scientists, ecologists, historians, tourists.”
Featured image courtesy of @annetteeee/Instagram
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.