People Are Traveling to a Chemical Dump in Siberia to Take Pictures for Instagram
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
That on its own wouldn’t be anything out of the ordinary, except for the fact that the “beach” is actually a “lake,” and more specifically, is a man-made waste dump for power plant Heating and Electrical Station Number 5. Oh, and that out-of-this-world blue color? It’s from calcium salts and metal oxides.
But that hasn’t stopped people from trekking to the city of Novosibirsk — in fact, people have started calling it the “Maldives of Novosibirsk.” But you won’t find any overwater villas here, just an industrial city with over 1.6 million people trying to grapple with newfound social media fame.
View this post on Instagram
Siberian Generating Company, the operator of the power plant, issued a statement to clarify some concerns. While “the radiation level is normal” and “not poisonous,” they said: “We strongly ask that while hunting for selfies you don’t fall in the ash dump!”
This isn’t the only weird tourism site to make headlines this week. Ukraine announced that Chernobyl will become an official tourist attraction, adding that “Chernobyl is a unique place on the planet where nature revives after a global man-made disaster, where there is a real ‘ghost town’. We have to show this place to the world: scientists, ecologists, historians, tourists.”
Featured image courtesy of @annetteeee/Instagram
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees