Don’t get scammed visiting the Statue of Liberty like Alec Baldwin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Celebrities, they’re just like us!
At least, if by “us” you mean people who have been scammed trying to see a major tourist attraction, such as New York City’s beloved Statue of Liberty.
On Sunday, actor Alec Baldwin posted an Instagram the details of the debacle. According to the New York Post, Baldwin, his wife Hilaria and their four children purchased tickets to see Lady Liberty, and were told to board a bus bound for New Jersey. From there, they would have taken a boat near the monument — but not, you know, a ferry that actually went to Liberty Island.
View this post on Instagram
“We buy the tickets for the ‘boat tour’ of the Statue of Liberty,” Baldwin wrote on Instagram. “I kid you not. We paid. Then we read the tickets.”
The tickets were purchased from Tours R Us, according to Baldwin’s post, and cost about $40 a piece. And the Baldwins are hardly the first to be scammed by the shady tour operator. On TripAdvisor, there are more than 200 “terrible” ratings for this company. And Curbed reported that, “Vendors claiming to sell tickets to the attractions often dupe tourists into purchasing rides for double the price of a Statue Cruises ticket.”
So, how can you avoid paying $40 for bus tickets to New Jersey instead of a cruise to visit Lady Liberty? The only legitimate tour operator permitted to take visitors to both Liberty and Ellis Island is Statue Cruises, so be sure to look out for them. Tickets are $18.50 each and can be purchased either online or at Battery Park.
Ultimately, Baldwin and his family took the Staten Island Ferry across the water, which is much, much cheaper — free, to be exact.
“Take the [Staten Island] Ferry,” Baldwin wrote. “It’s the best ride in NY.”
Baldwin’s right. The Staten Island Ferry is a great alternative to a pricey tour if you’re more interested in Statue of Liberty views than a visit to the namesake island.
In the wake of Baldwin’s viral social media post, Curbed reported that Mayor Bill de Blasio is reportedly cracking down on on various scammers operating in Battery Park, including Freedom Cruises and Sphinx Transport. The Department of Transportation recently sent cease and desist letters to both fake operators, as the city believes they’re operating unauthorized bus stops downtown. The mayor called the Baldwin bonanza “unacceptable.”
Additionally, New York City police officers will maintain “high visibility posts” in the Battery Park area and will issue summons to buses breaking the law. As part of the initiative, the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will also finalize rules that enforce ticket sellers to state if their boat is actually going to Liberty or Ellis Island.
In the meantime, when in doubt, get the $18.50 tickets directly from Statue Cruises and it will all be smooth sailing.
Now, would someone please go tell Alec Baldwin?
Featured photo by jason krieger/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees