JetBlue boosts LaGuardia shuttle amid Boston expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue Airways is adding more flights in the competitive shuttle market between Boston and New York, part of a larger move to bulwark its Boston base from competition.
The New York-based carrier will add four flights for up to 10 a day between Boston Logan (BOS) and New York LaGuardia (LGA), JetBlue said Wednesday. With the added service that will begin this spring, the airline will offer up to 22 flights a day between Boston and the New York area, including Newark Liberty (EWR) and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK).
All of JetBlue’s flights between Boston and LaGuardia are operated with 100-seat Embraer 190 aircraft. The jets feature both seatback personal TV screens and inflight Wi-Fi.
The airline does not mention any additional “shuttle” amenities that Andrea Lusso, director of route planning, told TPG it was considering in September. Possible amenities included free same-day changes, complimentary coffee at the gate and beer and wine onboard.
With the additional Boston flights, JetBlue will reduce frequencies between LaGuardia and Florida, spokesman Philip Stewart told TPG. He did not indicate which routes will see reductions, but noted that all LaGuardia-Florida flights will shift to its largest jet, the Airbus A321, in 2020.
In Florida, JetBlue serves Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO) and West Palm Beach (PBI) from LaGuardia, according to Cirium schedules.
JetBlue will also boost frequency between Boston and Austin (AUS) next year. The news of the additional flight, for up to three a day, comes a day after American Airlines announced it will begin twice-daily service on the route in May. Delta Air Lines also flies the route.
JetBlue’s growth in Boston is widely seen as a defensive move to bulwark its focus city against competitors. Delta upgraded Logan to a hub earlier this year and has since announced a number of new routes, including to Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Miami (MIA) and Washington Reagan National (DCA) in the U.S. and to international destinations like London Gatwick (LGW) and Rome (FCO).
“We are committed to winning Boston,” JetBlue president Joanna Geraghty said in July. The airline is adding flights on many of its routes out of Boston, including boosting frequency to Washington National to up to 15 flights a day this fall.
In 2021, JetBlue plans to launch its first transatlantic service with flights to London from both Boston and New York JFK.
JetBlue expects slower-than-planned growth due to Airbus A321neo delivery delays. The carrier cut its growth forecast by roughly two points after delays pushed the deliveries of at least seven jets due this year into 2020.
Featured image by JOSEPH PREZIOSO/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees