JetBlue Joins Delta in Issuing Travel Waiver for the Dominican Republic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A wave of sudden deaths, illnesses and accidents among tourists in the Dominican Republic has raised questions surrounding the safety of Caribbean nation. So much so that the US State Department has had a Level 2 travel advisory on the country since April, encouraging tourists to exercise increased caution.
Fortunately, you’ve got options if you have travel booked there — even if you didn’t book the trip with a credit card that provides trip cancellation and interruption protection. Just days after Delta issued a travel waiver for Punta Cana (PUJ) due to “recent events” there, JetBlue has announced that it will allow passengers with flights to/from the Dominican Republic to change or cancel their flights for no additional fee.
The waiver is not posted on JetBlue’s website, but representative of the airline provided TPG the following statement:
“The safety of our customers and crewmembers is our first priority. While JetBlue’s flights to the Dominican Republic are unaffected, we are working with the U.S. Embassy and local authorities to stay updated on developments. To support our customers, we are currently waiving change fees when rebooking flights to/from the Dominican Republic. For customers who wish to cancel their flights, we are waiving the cancellation fee and issuing a credit for future JetBlue travel. For additional questions, customers can call 1-800-JETBLUE.”
Unlike Delta’s waiver which only applies to travel to Punta Cana, it seems that JetBlue’s covers all airports the airline flies to in the country (LRM/POP/PUJ/STI/SDQ). JetBlue’s waiver also doesn’t list any restrictions in terms of travel dates or dates you must have purchased your ticket by.
No other airline has issued a travel waiver for the Dominican Republic yet, though it can’t hurt to still ask the airline to reaccommodate you if you don’t feel comfortable going there as they may make exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by James Leynse/Corbis via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees