Delta Air Lines Is Allowing Changes to Dominican Republic Flights After Tourists’ Deaths
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sudden deaths and unexplained sicknesses among tourists of the Dominican Republic have raised concerns surrounding the Caribbean nation among travelers and airlines alike. The New York Post reported that 70 tourists have fallen violently ill while visiting the country since March. Additionally, the US State Department issued a level 2 travel advisory, citing violent crime as a concern for American visitors.
As of June 21, Delta Air Lines has begun issuing travel waivers for Punta Cana due to “recent events” there. The waiver allows flexible travelers to rebook their flights or cancel their itineraries for credit with the airline.
- Travel dates: June 21-Aug 15
- Airports covered: Punta Cana (PUJ)
- Must have purchased your ticket by June 21
- Rebook anytime before Nov 20
- Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond Nov 20, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply.
- Passengers cancelling their ticket will receive Delta credit expiring a year after their original issue date.
Featured photo by Patrick T. Fallon/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.